wingcases

F

flytyingfred

I would like to know when you guys tie a nymph how many coats of glue or hard as nails or whatever you use do you put on the wingcase? I have been working on some hares ears and I am not sure just how shiny to make the wingcase. Is the purpose to make it shiny an smooth with lots of light coats or just to make it durable with one or two coats? All submitions will be appreciated.

I'll let HA take this one but I use a spray that was made for feathers to make them more durable for tying it does leave a little bit of shine . The name of it slips my mnd at the moment .

Here it is http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=52XX&dir_id=1273&cat_id=5086&subcat_id=6168&Group_ID=1293&scrdr=1

How do you like that stuff Fredrick?

Lots of tyers use some sort of fixative on the feathers used for their wingcases, but I usually like to use untreated feathers. Just personal preference. I have been playing around with UV products, and Alleene's Fabric Fusion (same as Liquid Fusion). They work well, but I doubt the fish care at all.

The fixatives like in Fredrick's link help keep the fibers from separating, but I've only used the spray stuff by 3M, and it's not a real big advantage, IMHO. Maybe for hopper wings, but not wingcases.

There's usually a shiny side of a feather, and a dull side - just tie the wingcase slip in so you get the look you like. YMMV, as usual.

I use the 3M spray for turkey feathers. I use turkey for most of my natural wingcases. If it looks like it may fray afterward I just put light brush stroke of semi gloss nail polish on it. For some of the synthetic flash materials I will use Loon UV knotsense. Most of the synthetics that I use are very thin and probably can't stand much abuse without some additional protection.

I've used the 3M fixative, I've coated with flexament (dumb), and I've coated with laquer (dumb).

Now I just don't bother. If it splits? Meh.

I had a few teachers that have told me they coat their feathers for wingcases, but i'm too lazy i guess - I've not been using anything..and mostly use goose wings since they are all over for free.

I may not have asked my question correctly or maybe Its because I am not familiar with the 3m material. I do spray my turkey feathers with krylon workable fixative. My question is after the wingcase is tied down and the fly is finished how do you treat the wingcase? I am not sure if the multiple layers of hard as nails which produces a very smooth and shiny case or just a dab or two of head cement to make the fly more durable is the more acceptable way to finish the fly. My understanding of the 3M material from your posts is that its used to spray the feathers before the fly is tied if I have misread your posts I am sorry and will have to look the stuff up on line here. Thanks again guys.

Any spray adhesive from a craft store will work. (this is about the only thing I recoment buying from the craft store).

I would never spend the time coating after the fly is complete. Spray batches of feathers at a time.

BTW, many flies' wingcases can be repared it bitten through without making the fly look awful.

flytyingfred wrote:
I am not sure if the multiple layers of hard as nails which produces a very smooth and shiny case or just a dab or two of head cement to make the fly more durable is the more acceptable way to finish the fly.

Oh.

Err, probably whatever makes you happy, really. I'd imagine a drop of laquer would be just fine, but if they fall apart I'm pretty sure the fish don't mind.

The more haggard flies work, the better they often seem to perform.

This awful looking thing consists of some shredded thread around lead, it WAS a hare's ear. Only reason it was retired is because I organized the "used fly box" on a conference call one day, and its been sitting in a matchbox convertable on my desk here for a few weeks til I re-apply hare's ear to it.

trowpa wrote:
..and mostly use goose wings since they are all over for free.

Wow, I cannot believe my cheapness never twigged to this. THey are all over for free! Guilt free quill wings!

gfen wrote:
flytyingfred wrote:
I am not sure if the multiple layers of hard as nails which produces a very smooth and shiny case or just a dab or two of head cement to make the fly more durable is the more acceptable way to finish the fly.

Oh.

Err, probably whatever makes you happy, really. I'd imagine a drop of laquer would be just fine, but if they fall apart I'm pretty sure the fish don't mind.

The more haggard flies work, the better they often seem to perform.

This awful looking thing consists of some shredded thread around lead, it WAS a hare's ear. Only reason it was retired is because I organized the "used fly box" on a conference call one day, and its been sitting in a matchbox convertable on my desk here for a few weeks til I re-apply hare's ear to it.

The photo was private. What were you planning to show us....?

wsender wrote:
The photo was private. What were you planning to show us....?

A very blurry, and very haggard fly. I hate that this likes to make crap private, and I can't figureout how to publicize it. I deleted it. I moved on. I don't care.

Back