Wild Water Fly Rods?

jeffroey

jeffroey

Anyone have any first-hand experience with Wild Water fly rods? I stumbled across their web site by accident tonight but was intrigued enough by their 9' 5WT 7pc - and it's price point. I have almost no carbon in my rod collection and with this season's goal to become proficient with mono rig setups - I've been looking for a few cheap carbon rods that lean toward longer and faster than I usually fish. This one checked the boxes so I went ahead and ordered it. At the time of this post, $62 and free shipping.

Very few YT videos, not a lot of reviews overall, some offerings on Amazon. Just curious if anyone has a Wild Water under their truck seat.

Thx.

I bought my first fly rod from Wild Water. The 9' 5wt package. Being new I had nothing to compare it to. I ended up overweighting it with a 6wt line and that helped me connect with the back cast better. I think it was a great starter rod. I graduated last year with a TFO 4 wt with proper line weight.

I have a 7 piece 7' 4wt rod made by "March Brown". And the second section can be removed making it a 6' rod. It's a great rod for hiking in to fish. Broken down it's short enough to stow the tube inside my pack and assemble it when I get to the stream. It's a decent casting rod, and actually a little on the fast side, which I like. I really wouldn't recommend buying a 7 piece rod for general fishing, but thy are a perfect pack rod for hiking in without the hassle to carry it. Unfortunately March Brown is no longer in business. But if you find one out there, I would recommend you pick one up.

2838.jpg

My first rod was a wild water fly rod. I think they are a great value and are quite robust in my experience. I learned to fly fish on a wild water fly rod. I don't fish it anymore because I gifted it to my brother, but it is definitely a serviceable rod and he uses it regularly. That rod has been fished for going on 10 years now without issue.

I really wouldn't recommend buying a 7 piece rod for general fishing, but thy are a perfect pack rod for hiking in without the hassle to carry it.
Agreed. Not looking at it to replace a 2 or 4 pc 5 wt in a regular rotation with it but rather take advantage of the 17-ish inch section length to strap it on the side of a pack as I'm walking in.

Besides, since I'm really after planning to spool up a mono rig on it, I think I'm probably more lobbing than casting. Regardless, should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Heading back to mom's for the weekend so I plan to find a small stream up around Pittston on Friday. I might drag it along. I'll let you know.

At roughly the cost of a full tank of gas, I don't think you can go wrong.

Back