Wild fires rip the smokies and how will it affect trout streams and wild life

Jessed

Jessed

I was watching the news and they were talking about gatlinburg and pigeonforg were being evacuated. I hope everyone is safe but couldn't help to think about the trout. I know those fires can be HOT and especially up close to a stream could really heat some things up. Especially on smaller brookie streams and streams like roaring fork. How much do you think this will impact the streams/ wildlife

More than you might expect,sadly---saw the same thing in Montana---after big fires in the area some good spawning areas were ruined-but life goes on.

No doubt that it will be bad. The runoff will put silt and Ph changing water in the creeks. The "Blue Liners" Probably will be the hardest hit and may lose native trout. GG

God help the trout. Type "Amen."

Amen.

at times like this, who gives a damn about the trout, people are dying and losing their homes and livelihoods, losing everything they have. I dont' think they care about the trout right now.
BTW, the fish will eventually return, nature is tough.

I think you can be concerned for both the people who are up against it and for the trout. I think we can extend an "Amen" for all.

bikerfish wrote:
at times like this, who gives a damn about the trout, people are dying and losing their homes and livelihoods, losing everything they have. I dont' think they care about the trout right now.
BTW, the fish will eventually return, nature is tough. [/quote this is a fishing forum---please don't insert unwarranted negativity about our thoughts and feelings about unrelated subjects.thanks

Sorry for caring about the bigger picture. I'll go away now.

No doubt I feel sorry for the people!! But houses are easier to build than replenishing wild trout

I think this is what's called a false dichotomy.

If you care about trout and trout streams, then you cannot care about people.

False. Logic fail alert!!!!

Jessed wrote:
No doubt I feel sorry for the people!! But houses are easier to build than replenishing wild trout

Not really true. Mother nature can be amazing. In addition to the houses, the livelihoods of the people in that area will be greatly impacted for years to come. Who want to vacation in a burnt out waste land.

As a side note, wife had reservations to visit there with her sister and niece this past summer, but had to cancel for health reasons. Now it will never be the same in her lifetime.

The after effects on the stream will be worse than the actual fire, but the streams will rebound on their own, eventually.

How about I just pray for rain?

One other thing. Gulf mentioned it changing the Ph. That is true, but wood ash actually raises PH in soil similar to adding lime. This could be an improvement, right? My garden says so.

The big concern will be runnoff and silt until everything gets stabilized again.

troutbert wrote:
I think this is what's called a false dichotomy.

If you care about trout and trout streams, then you cannot care about people.

False. Logic fail alert!!!!

Bikerfish has been drinking bitter beer too long, and I forgive him.;-)

I just returned, on Thanksgiving Day, from fighting fires in North Carolina. I would think the biggest concerns to fish would be the additional silt load and the mortality of Rhododendron and trees along the stream. I would think the additional silt load would clear out quickly due to the high gradient of most of the streams in that area. The loss of shade may be a bigger issue as many of these streams have already lost a huge shade source with the loss of hemlock down there.

As for other wildlife this will likely be a benefit to most of it as periodic fire is what established most of the timber types that burnt down there and these fires should help to begin the regeneration process in the oak/hickory stands they are burning. I do feel for the people down there, as there is a feeling of real helplessness when wildfires blow up like these did. The people in the areas I was at were extremely thankful for our efforts and were constantly thanking us and trying to buy our dinners etc....

A lot depends on how hot the fire was, and if it killed everything in it's path. We may not know for a while. Fires aren't always bad for habitat.

reds wrote:
I just returned, on Thanksgiving Day, from fighting fires in North Carolina. I would think the biggest concerns to fish would be the additional silt load and the mortality of Rhododendron and trees along the stream. I would think the additional silt load would clear out quickly due to the high gradient of most of the streams in that area. The loss of shade may be a bigger issue as many of these streams have already lost a huge shade source with the loss of hemlock down there.

As for other wildlife this will likely be a benefit to most of it as periodic fire is what established most of the timber types that burnt down there and these fires should help to begin the regeneration process in the oak/hickory stands they are burning. I do feel for the people down there, as there is a feeling of real helplessness when wildfires blow up like these did. The people in the areas I was at were extremely thankful for our efforts and were constantly thanking us and trying to buy our dinners etc....

It would be nice if the fires killed the Chestnut Blight in the areas burned, but that's probably wishful thinking.

pete41 wrote:
bikerfish wrote:
BTW, the fish will eventually return, nature is tough. [/quote this is a fishing forum---please don't insert unwarranted negativity about our thoughts and feelings about unrelated subjects.thanks

So bikerfish talks about people dying and losing everything, you respond with don't insert negativity about your feelings???? He is expressing his thoughts and feelings just like you. Yes its a fishing forum but a little perspective is a good thing.

Back