Wiconisco Cr. Dauphin Co

odizz17

odizz17

Anyone have any insight on this creek? Looking for some new water to throw a fly around in. I fished this a few years ago near the Ned Smith Center vicinity, and got a 20" stocked brookie. I remember little black stones coming off that day as well. Had fun with that haha. Haven't been back since. I know the creek (upper) has had some AMD issues in the past. Anyone know if this watershed holds anything over, or supports any wild fish? Or does it turn into a warm water fishery during the summer months? Not trying to spot burn, so if anyone would rather send a pm that's cool. I'm just getting bored fishing the same 4 creeks every month. Thanks in advance

Expanding your repertoire is a good thing. Don't be afraid to explore. I sometimes choose 2-3 mystery waters and one known quality in a vicinity. Start early, leave after an hour or two if the prospects are weak. Halfway through the day, you may be on your known good stream to salvage the day. But then again, you may get stuck on one of your unknowns, having discovered a diamond in the rough.

Good sound advice from Jack above on exploring new areas in general. Always a good idea to have a few options/back up plans in case your target stream/area is a dud.

As far as Wiconisco, yes most of the main stem warms too much for Trout...probably decent SM fishing, especially as you get closer to the mouth though. There are some wild trout (all Brookies I think) further upstream in the watershed. Explore the Rattling Creek drainages above the reservoir...small streams, tight fishing, and they're recovering AMD streams, but they're cold year round.

Thanks again, especially for the quick responses! I'm always on the lookout for new waters, and with it being the end of summer, I usually limit the hiking and little brook fishing due to heavy overgrown stream side bushes and the heat. Lately I've been doing more tying than fishing, and that needs to stop lol. Maybe next weekend I'll try my luck in that area and see what I come across. I'll be sure to post a report whether or not I get into fish

I've checked it out but never fished it, I believe the AMD starts way in the headwaters, because there is a lot of mining around there, but I'm not sure. The geology of the area tells me the streams would be pretty infertile even without the AMD.

A large dose of AMD enters the Wiconisco near Bear Creek. There are other large AMD discharges into the creek upstream as well.

I fished the Wic today between 4:30 and 6. Caught 1 brown just behind the ball field at the park. Creek was cool, as I was wet wading. Caught him swinging a soft hackle Partridge and orange. Saw him swipe at it twice, hooked up on third swing. Only fish I caught.

Thanks for the info, Shepherd! Never tried this stream before- maybe next year

The best fishing is definitely below where Rattling creek dumps in. The upper creek is pretty ugly, loaded with chubs, but has a few pretty big fish in it. The AMD source actually starts above the headwaters at Porter Tunnel East of Tower City, but I believe there is a mitigation system in place. There are no AMD sources that I know of in the Rattling Creek drainage and it holds a decent quantity of natives and some holdovers, but it gets beat up pretty hard as far as harvest. Below the confluence there are some decent hatches, most notably caddis, Hendrickson, black stones, sulphurs and slate drakes.

Boyer

I usually go to crossroads market an drop my wife and I go fish the Wic or Mahantongo, I have not fished up on Rattling, Might have to give it a go..

BTW, there is a really neat home for sale on the banks of the wiconisco, It has like 30 acres with it a lot of it is creekside, I think the asking price is in the $300's! I caught the biggest brown of my life fishing near here!

I usually go to crossroads market an drop my wife and I go fish the Wic or Mahantongo, I have not fished up on Rattling, Might have to give it a go..

BTW, there is a really neat home for sale on the banks of the wiconisco, It has like 30 acres with it a lot of it is creekside, I think the asking price is in the $300's! I caught the biggest brown of my life fishing near here!

Haha, you can literally buy a 4000 sf house in that valley for 50g. Better be a bmf of a house for that price. 30 acres is awesome, but it's still in "the valley". You'd understand if you grew up there.

Boyer

Matt, The price is a bit nutsy but the location is good. The current owner allows people to walk literally down his driveway to fish the creek. I hope the new owner will be the free as well, assuming it sells.

Back