Why?

A

ahhofmeister

Hello I don't post a lot but I read all the time. I love fly fishing and would consider my self about one step up from newbie lol. I am self taught and me and my dad were up camp this week in Emporium. While my dad loves to hunt and fish he never got into fly fishing so he just watched and spin fished the last couple days. While he totally gets the why I fly fish for adult trout escpecially with drys there's one question that came up. Why walk through grown forests to catch really small bookies that you don't get a fight out of. I do it for the adventure of walking into rarely touched woods and catching historic fish. How about you guys?

They taste good. :-o

Yeah, it's not about the tug or the fight with small stream fishing. It's about the beauty of the streams and the fish that live in them. The solitude, and overall experience of a day in the woods are nice too.

Did I mention they are tasty?

Agreed, for me fishing headwater streams is about the setting not the size of the fish.

The fishing itself does have it's own challenges that keep it interesting as well.

I agree with the above posts about just enjoying a day in the woods. I know that I am never going to catch a large native brookie or a wild rainbow. I just like being out there and catching them.

I've never caught a native brookie or wild brown over 8" in PA, NC, VA, or WV. I just like being out there and enjoying the day. I've caught bigger trout in Alaska and Colorado and had a great time doing it, but I love to catch native and wild trout in the Appalachian Mountains.

The old saying, "If I have to explain, you will never understand".

Canoetripper wrote:
I agree with the above posts about just enjoying a day in the woods. I know that I am never going to catch a large native brookie or a wild rainbow.
You would/will if you fish the streams that hold the trout you describe. Over the years I've caught lots of natives in the 10"-11" range, and have caught plenty of wild rainbows. Go where they live.

Because that’s where they live. We are very blessed to have the opportunity.

I've long thought this would be a good essay topic; the gist of it is that I like to be where wild trout live. It's not about the size or fight. It's about me being where they have found a place to survive.

Having spent more than 50 years chasing native bookies, i find it boils down to two things for me. The first is the love of the wild places such fishing takes me. The second is because I feel God’s presence when I lay my hands on one of his native brook trout in a wild secluded mountain stream. Such wild places and creatures surely could only have originated in the manner described in the book of Genesis. Think I’ll grab my Payne 98, my Pfleuger Medalist and a matchbox full of size 14 Royal Wulff’s and head out to my favorite church tomorrow morning.

Some people really enjoy brook trout fishing. Some don't.

It's the same with asparagus.

I don't think "explaining" will make much difference in either case.

I like asparagus but otherwise agree with Mr. Meister. I have no desire to catch 4" fish on every other cast.

Even though they're usually small, wild brookies are the most beautiful fish around IMO.
And the environs they live in ain't bad either.
Honestly, I would still rather catch a 5" brookie on a dry fly - than dredge for 10 pound steelhead.
To each his own I guess.

A good analogy here can be made with hunting IMO.
When I did it, grouse hunting was by far my favorite.
You had to work your a$$ off - climbing steep hills through dense cover, hoping to get a shot at one of those feathered rockets. And when I was lucky enough to hit one - I had barely enough meat for a meal for one person. But I really enjoyed it
On the other hand, sitting on a deer stand was very boring to me.
I couldn't wait to get my deer and get out of the woods - even though bagging one meant a years supply of tension.

Bigger isn't always better.

ahhofmeister wrote:
Why walk through grown forests to catch really small bookies that you don't get a fight out of.

I love fishing for brookies but if I decide a particular stream only holds very small fish I usually move onto another and seldom return. Personally, I am not a brookie snob. Wild trout of any species grab my attention and while I really enjoy getting way back in the woods to catch them, I will happy catch wild fish in stream running next to rail yards, behind abandoned buildings, below sewage plants... ...wherever I can find them.

ahhofmeister wrote:
I do it for the adventure of walking into rarely touched woods and catching historic fish. How about you guys?

The adventure tends to be inversely proportional to the size of the fish. Although, some days you have quite the adventure and the fishing is fantastic too.

You only fly fish for "adult trout"....you don't think there are "adult" brookies?...hilarious

govtmule wrote:
You only fly fish for "adult trout"....you don't think there are "adult" brookies?...hilarious

Didn't you know brookies are just created from chemical reactions between a certain blend of water ph, decaying plant matter, and sandstone? No, in all seriousness we all know that he meant "larger" (or at least I hope that's what he meant) so cut him some slack.

I agree with most, the trout don't have to be big to have a great time on the stream. Just being in the wild areas that hold wild/native trout is good enough for me. I love the solitude that these types of streams provide!

For me, catching a 10" or 11" native, or an 18" wild brown in a wild mountain freestone is a great accomplishment. These are considered big trout for these types of streams. Did I mention I love the solitude? :)

I like asparagus, spinach and even brussel sprouts!

I really can't think of a time when I had a fly rod in my hand fishing....and said to myself "this sucks!"

I like fishing for wild trout in small streams, but also really love fishing bigger streams or rivers. I like to fish for river smallies, largemouth and panfish in lakes, have fun messing with a carp or two, or muskie, and all kinds of saltwater fish when I get a chance.

I nymph, fish streamers, dries, and wets for trout and enjoy doing each in their own way. I tie and fish all kind of flies for many different species and have fun doing it.

I don't really care what material a rod is made of, as long as it works for me. Same for reels and other tackle....all just tools of trade.

It's all fun......

snob
snäb
noun
a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people.

poopdeck wrote:
I like asparagus but otherwise agree with Mr. Meister. I have no desire to catch 4" fish on every other cast.

I also have no desire to catch 4" fish. And I LOVE brook trout fishing.

I fish for the adult brook trout. :)

Which means brookies 8 inches long or longer.

If a stream is in good condition, it should have 8 inch brookies in the better habitat spots.

If not, then it is getting hit. Cropped off. Hammered.

Back