Why is backing dacron?

The "stretch" factor is exactly why we put a section of mono, (20 yards or so) in between our backing and fly line on saltwater outfits, to ADD that stretch in there, for fast runs, etc.
Mike B

krayfish2 wrote:
I did use mono but after having a dozen spools crushed I switched to micron backing. Interested in trying that dacron stuff this year.

Did you seriously have 12 spools crushed by spooling them with mono? Or did I miss a joke in there somewhere? I find it hard to believe, but if it really happened to you 12 times that's fascinating.

i use GSP - dacron can leech colour on to your fly line and also rot.

i use Rio or Orvis.

Skeet6 wrote:
The "stretch" factor is exactly why we put a section of mono, (20 yards or so) in between our backing and fly line on saltwater outfits, to ADD that stretch in there, for fast runs, etc.
Mike B

So, you're saying that mono stretches more than a fly line?

Where are you fishing, what are you fishing for and why are you adding 2 knots to the equation?

Reels were spooled with braided lines before manmade monofilaments were invented.

mono has memory and it stretches I know some people use braided lines like powerpro but is more for big game and the fact that it is much smaller in dia for how strong it is. you can pack a lot more backing on a reel. really for guys who fish for bill fish and tuna. the only issue is it can dig into itself. with reels now days they can hold enough Dacron backing it doesn't matter.

It was recommended by Lou Tabory and others in the 90s for striper fishing in the surf and off of jetties.. I had my outfits set up that way back when I used to fish stripers seriously... it was what the experts told me to do, so I did it.
Mike B

for jetties I could maybe see it but only up in the new England area. lots of rock that could cut you off. around jersey the really no rocks in the water besides for the jetties them self. braided line and rocks don mix. with mono you have a much better chance that you line not break if it rubs against a rock.

marcq wrote:
for jetties I could maybe see it but only up in the new England area. lots of rock that could cut you off. around jersey the really no rocks in the water besides for the jetties them self. braided line and rocks don mix. with mono you have a much better chance that you line not break if it rubs against a rock.
All good and true, but as stated, I did what the masters told me at the time, perhaps they don't even recommend that anymore. I moved to PA from along the Hudson, sold my boat, and haven't touched salt since one or two trips to Cape Cod and a couple to NJ shore, nothing like I did in the 90's.
Mike B

Skeet, I read the same book by lou tabory and recall him saying he mostly uses that rigging for tarpon after it was the suggested to him by a guide. The reason given was that if a tarpon jumps and you're into your backing it gives more stretch so the hook or a knot doesn't pull or break.

icyguides wrote:
Skeet, I read the same book by lou tabory and recall him saying he mostly uses that rigging for tarpon after it was the suggested to him by a guide. The reason given was that if a tarpon jumps and you're into your backing it gives more stretch so the hook or a knot doesn't pull or break.
It was recommended for all setups, I remembered.
https://books.google.com/books?id=IUhxv63nc9UC&pg=PA222&lpg=PA222&dq=lou+tabory+backing+mono&source=bl&ots=G8WTUv5R_u&sig=PUkrTbcwcGOzealJOEurnhXlde8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_MuiVNfYCIbJPYWkgIgO&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA

I'll try to dig out the book tonight. It's been a while since i read it.
Mike B

Skeet, you are right. My recollection of the details was foggy. Lou's explanation makes sense to me. Berkeley Big game is tough stuff.

Back