Why is backing dacron?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Why isn't it mono? I guess its a silly question but I thought someone might know the reason. I'm sure there is a reason related to the past, I just can't figure it out. The size difference between 20# mono and 20# backing doesn't seem like it would hold that much or less.

Guessing, but I would think it has the greater tensile strength, breaking point and deterioration longevity of any other supple linear material.

If its rated by weight breaking strength would be the same wouldn't it? As long as the rating is accurate.

Longevity might make sense. I guess people change mono every season. How often do people replace their backing?

I've always heard that it's about longevity as well. From what I understand you can put dacron backing on and pretty much leave it on as long as the line. Mono would degrade

This is pure speculation, but I also think that any knot from dacron to fly line tends to be more compact than a similar knot in monofilament. Seems like dacron flattens a bit when knotted where 20 or 30 lb mono is pretty thick and stiff. That way if a big fish takes you into the backing the knot from line to backing is less likely to catch on the guides.

Good points. I should have said the "optimal balancing" of those factors.

Mono stretches. If you spool it stretched onto the reel while fighting a fish it can conceivably contract and crush the spool. Dacron won't do that.

Dacron also comes in sweet "Pro" colors to make the reel look cool

Good call Norm. I think it's a combo of durability, stretch factor, diameter and how water absorption impacts the backing materials.

How long has backing been dacron? What was used before that?

salvelinus wrote:
Mono stretches. If you spool it stretched onto the reel while fighting a fish it can conceivably contract and crush the spool. Dacron won't do that.

This is the reason. Not durability, water absorption, or anything else.

gfen wrote:
salvelinus wrote:

Yes I agree. This is exactly the reason.

GenCon

Also, dacron appears to have no memory. I just reloaded a rel with a line that's been on another reel for 3 or 4 years and not used much. While I needed to stretch the line to eliminate coils, the dacron backing was absolutely coil free.

gfen wrote:
salvelinus wrote:

:-o

[size=xx-small]This product is known to the State of California to explode causing cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.[/size]

Attachments

• Caution...sploding spools.jpg
    Caution...sploding spools.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3
salvelinus wrote:

Yes - this.

However, I've always been skeptical of the claim that mono reeled unto a spool under stretched condition would damage the spool (it doesn't happen with spin reels). Although I've always used braid for backing, I wouldn't hesitate to use a heavy mono for trout reels as the backing is really just spool filler.

Fishidiot wrote:
salvelinus wrote:

Yes - this.

However, I've always been skeptical of the claim that mono reeled unto a spool under stretched condition would damage the spool (it doesn't happen with spin reels). Although I've always used braid for backing, I wouldn't hesitate to use a heavy mono for trout reels as the backing is really just spool filler.

^ agree.

I've used mono as backing, although dacron is better. Mono weakens over time and has memory (it ends up looking like a slinky when spooled tightly for a long time).

I've never had any issue using dacron as backing.

Are we literally talking about crushing a spool on a battenkill reel? I agree that memory and stretch are a consideration but I don't see spool crushing.

Not only does MONO stretch, but it releases the stretch while on the reel, making it nearly impossible to get off the reel. It binds up.

Dacron weighs less than mono (read Marinaro regarding reel weight vs rod loading performance). Low stretch, immunity to UV breakdown and ability to dry faster after Getting wet. Re,ember that mono does absorb some water. Almost ZERO line memory if that 30 incher takes you there.

Dacron weighs less than mono (read Marinaro "In the Ring of the Rise" regarding reel weight vs rod loading performance). Low stretch, immunity to UV breakdown and ability to dry faster after getting wet. Remember that mono does absorb some water. Almost ZERO line memory with Dacron if that 30 incher takes you there.

I did use mono but after having a dozen spools crushed I switched to micron backing. Interested in trying that dacron stuff this year.

Back