Why do we even still have an "Opening Day"?

FarmerDave wrote:

Reminded me of a day I had on Pithole Creek. There was a big hole below the stone arch bridge, and it was surrounded by anglers mostly fishing bait. I had fished further downstream and did Ok. On my way out, I hit a pocket just below the big hole and caught one right away and promptly released it.

I then moved to the other side of the bridge and hit another small pocket and immediately caught and released another. The dirty looks I got, and I wasn't even pinning.

I'm sure they thought it was junk water.

That's hardly junk water in that stretch. ;-)

What you describe is actually pretty much a typical day on the Erie tribs. A bunch of guys fishing one obvious spot rather than the spots that will more easily produce fish.

Mkern, I thought it could have been on purpose. Many stocking locations do look like circle jerks on opening day.

PennKev wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

Reminded me of a day I had on Pithole Creek. There was a big hole below the stone arch bridge, and it was surrounded by anglers mostly fishing bait. I had fished further downstream and did Ok. On my way out, I hit a pocket just below the big hole and caught one right away and promptly released it.

I then moved to the other side of the bridge and hit another small pocket and immediately caught and released another. The dirty looks I got, and I wasn't even pinning.

I'm sure they thought it was junk water.

That's hardly junk water in that stretch. ;-)

What you describe is actually pretty much a typical day on the Erie tribs. A bunch of guys fishing one obvious spot rather than the spots that will more easily produce fish.

So, you know the stream. I haven't been there in over 25 years, but when I lived in the area I frequented it a lot.

No, it wasn't junk water. But to your average opening day angler, it probably was.

Haha, I didn't catch that one. That year was a circle jerk. One guy wearing 5mm neoprene waders during a 75 degree day took a dip because he wasn't catching anything and I was. He thought he would get a better angle so he climbed out on a fallen tree and in he went.

I get the whole opening day tradition, but one of the main reasons most trout waters get posted is because of the opening day fiasco.
If I had to choose between the two I would easily go with more trout waters to fish over the opening day fiasco.

Back