Who knows the Lehigh??

Boatswain71

Boatswain71

So, let me lead off with I normally just lurk here reading articles and whatnot. I’ve been flyfishing for 30 or so years, tried most tactics but kind of found my nitch as a nympher. I fished the Lehigh last week just upriver from Dunbar’s. I worked the riffles down through the long pool below. Then the riffles below the RR bridge. It was the first time I’ve fished the Lehigh in a few years, and I have only fished the upper gorge below Whitehaven. So this was basically new water for me. I was indicator fishing with egg patterns and nymphs from sz12 to sz18 on 6x tippet. I was absolutely skunked, I couldn’t buy a strike. Looked through the reports and didn’t find much about the Lehigh. I used to do somewhat well here, so I’m not sure what’s up. Anyway...who fishes the river...how do you fish it...what was I doing wrong?? I will be back on the river on Monday the 13th, most likely the Dunbar’s area again. I’m a bit pig headed and will keep fishing that area until I figure it out. Any information is appreciated. Thanks guys

Yo Bo

If you want to meet a bunch of folks who are very knowledgable about the Lehigh, drive up this afternoon to attend the Army Corps public meeting about regulating flows.

I'd love to attend, but I cannot get there today. If anyone else attends I'd love to hear what was said.

Go to the places where they dump in the fish and you will catch fish. Otherwise it is sparse. Not super productive for trout by any means, but on the comeback . . . Somewhat. IMO.

Boat,

That stretch above Dunbars has always been very hit or miss for me. Fish are there, but it always seems one here, one there kinda fishing. I always have better luck downstream from Dunbars

There is a nice heavy run downstream from Dunbars rock beach, below the train trestle bridge that dumps into a nice fast flowing small pool that is good for nymphing and streamers. There is a picnic area there which provides easy access. That run always turns up fish for me.

Further down where the Mahoning Creek dumps in is really nice water. Nice fast run with good pocket water that empties into a long flat pool. Fish up or downstream from the Mahoning confluence. All really nice water for nymphing, streamers or maybe some risers to BWOs in the slow flat water.

You should be able to access these areas off of Lehigh Dr that goes down to the poop plant.

Good luck. Water temps are going to crash with this weather so deep and slow will be the name of game.

LR

Thanks for the info LR, much appreciated. I will try that area out this weekend or Monday.

TL guys

Boat..I live in WC too and fish the LR about 10 to 15 x a year.
It is hit n.miss,but I have sped a lot of time prospecting different spots the past few years.It has helped me find s few productive spots.I'M into bow hunting and fish the Chesapeake this time of year.HOWEVER,let's try to connect for 2018

GOOD LUCK NEXT WEEK

Sounds good, I make a few suicide day trips to the Salmon river for steelhead from September to April if your ever interested. A couple weekends here and there as well.

TL

Yo Bo

This is short notice, but tonight's Valley Forge TU has Nick Raftas as the speaker. He is very expert on the big Lehigh.

Well I really don't fish the river much in the lower sections ie below Jim Thorpe. But I can give you some pointers that work for me YMMV. Foam lines, pockets above , below and the seams alongside rocks, bean bag chair size or greater, are areas I Target most w nymphs.

The river is big and strong and fishing the deep pools with nymphs is tuff. If you get 1 good drift out of 5 you are doing well. Alot of unproductive time if you ask me..

Secondly, I typically use only a few flies while prospecting. Point is usually a green caddis pupae, prince or zug bug, , or a GRHE in a reddish brown color to match the many March browns, grey fox, and Cahills (stenonema) on the river. In a pinch it will do for the other major hatch hendickson.

Contrary to what you may think, keep your flies on the small side, 14,16 and 18ish sizes work best. I typically undersize prevalent insect by one ie. If 14 Cahills are expected I fish a 16 Reddish Brown GRHE.

Above the point is typically a soft hackle. Grouse and green, partridge and grey, partridge and yellow or a soft hackle PT. March brown wet is also a good one if twitched a bit.

Fish marginal areas or do your exploring in prime time (May June) fish prime areas at marginal times (mid day, July, etc).
Of course prime time and prime places are always a good bet.

Slate Drake ~first weekend in June is by far my favorite hatch. Zug bugs and princes work well along the protruding rocks and as a dropper underneath a comparadun.

Stay away if flow is >1000 at FEW

Some decent advice above. I've put in a ton of days on this river and find the lower (Below Jim Thorpe) is more hit or miss. Fish move , and they move a lot depending on the season and water temps. Especially the wild browns. (We are working on putting together a fish migration study but that is a whole other topic) Fish tend to stay in the area below where the Pohopoco dumps in if you are fishing the lower. Although its better wet fly swinging and dry fly water thou. The Dunbar section doesn't seem to keep fishes interest and they seem to just move through. For nymphing get a map of the Lehigh gorge state park and go explore. I'm not going to give away what you may find, but its hard work and if you put in the effort you will be rewarded and amazed.

Contrary to the comment above about smaller flies, I found that when the water is stained with that dark tannin, which it is at this moment, big bugs (size 6-10) stone flies or other stuff paired with something bright (sucker spawn) etc.. is very effective. When the water is clear and low, smaller files can work, but they never seem to refuse a size 12 PT or stone if you put it in their face.

Good luck and be careful, water is mid 40's and slipping in gets a whole other level of seriousness this time of year.

Best tip, when nothing is happening, swing swing swing just below the rips.

What is meant by the "Dunbar" section?

troutbert wrote:

In the town of Lehighton, there's a business called Dunbar Bottling. Past their parking lot is a private access road that leads down to the River. A lot of anglers park and fish in that area.

If anyone goes there, stop in and thank them for allowing access through their property...and maybe buy something from them. They carry a lot of good brews!

Attachments

• Dunbar.jpg
    Dunbar.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the information guys, I'll try to put it to good use.

TL

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:

In the town of Lehighton, there's a business called Dunbar Bottling. Past their parking lot is a private access road that leads down to the River. A lot of anglers park and fish in that area.

If anyone goes there, stop in and thank them for allowing access through their property...and maybe buy something from them. They carry a lot of good brews!

Thanks!

Unfortunately the season is over for the most part - but mark this page for next year.

Over...All my trout fishing is done from Sept to May, and I steelhead fish all winter too. The rest of the year I’m carp and bass fishing.

Lol that way you you can fish for both bass and trout on their spawning beds. Just kidding.

Shots fired...lol
No beds...not ever. I’ve just come to love fall and winter fishing. It’s quiet, not many guys on the water, and I enjoy the solitude.

TL

Back