Who knows about kayaks?

Get 12' at least. Smaller ones are obviously cheaper, but you may regret it.

If you are interested,I have a 14' emotion fisherman pro,with slider fishing system on it for sale

Behind the Firehall in Perdix was some of the best summertime smallmouth and panfish fishing in the world at one time , from reliable sources , folks who had the3 ability to go anywhere in the world to fish........sorry for getting off track the but 1wt saying Perdix brought back some great memories. I don't own a yak , but i do own a small inflatable raft , Sea Eagle , six different air chambers with a plywood floor , which make it possible for me , i'm an amputee missing my left leg below the knee , to stand up in it comfortably. Greenhouse Park in the Riverside area of Johnstown in western Pa hold an annual event tthat the closest thing i can compare it to is our JAM. There is a whitewater park there , manmade on the Stonycreek river , agreements for water releases from 3 different impoundments. Folks come from all over the world. I met folks from Australia , Russia , even China. If you really wanna see the whole scope of what's out there and learn more than you will ever use , i would try to attend one of these "JAMS" the thing is free if all you want to do is research , or you can camp there for a fee , they have the hook ups for RV's i think , and the crown Jewell for the hard core , OHIO PILE............heh........is about a half hour to 45 minutes from there. HAPPY FLOATING!!!!!!

I know you've had alot of replies, here's my 2 cents. GET A SIT ON TOP. I had a sit in and sold it. they sit further down in the water and its harder to cast. They are easier to get in also.

It also hurt my back that was the big reason, I'm going with a float tube, plus I already have a scanoe.

The positive of a sit in is you stay alot drier.

one thing you have to take into consideration is that a smaller yak is gonna be slower. which means its gonna take more effort to paddle. the other thing which is more important is the longer the yak the better it will track in the water. a small yak will get pushed around with in the equation wind. that's why its better to go with a longer yak. this is more important for fishing the ocean and large bays. not so much ponds and lakes. 13 feet is kind the middle 10 is on the small side and they get up to 16 feet but I feel its to much of a pain to transport it. around there is no need to rush when its still freezing out.

marc

Dub,
I'll second a visit to Blue Mountain Outfitters.

There's all kinds of kayaks and I've tried many of them. Lots of folks like sit-on tops, esp down south. I tend to prefer sit-in type or "decked" yaks. A good and popular type of kayak for what you're thinking of would be the "Pungo" which comes in a fisherman's version or you can get the basic one and add on as you go. Some years ago, there was a whole gang of anglers targeting northeast stripers from Pungos although I think this was a few years ago - there are so many fishing yaks now the Pungo may not have as many fans.

I've not read every post on this thread, as I am quite tired, but I wanted to throw you some advice I learned from my first Kayak. Buy a sit on top and enjoy your well bought investment. I'm a little on the heavy side (200lbs) and when I flipped my sit in I had trouble getting out of it. Not the type of trouble where I almost drowned, but a few more seconds fooling around getting my legs out of it and I might have been in trouble. God forbid I was in fast moving water when it happened. I was on a lake. I got rid of it the next week and though I still haven't looked into another, my buddy loans me his sit on top from time to time and I absolutely love it.

Just a quick sidebar if you haven't been out in your yak or canoe in recent months: The PFBC now requires you to wear (not just have in possession in your boat) your PFD during the colder months of the year. Maryland has had this rule for years but PA, I think, just had it put in effect a couple months ago.

Just so you know John Shein was at Sommerset. He had a booth and did a seminar on Kayak fishing. He will also have a booth at Lancaster. I don't know if he will be do a seminar. His book sells for $29.00 and he was selling it for $10.00 at the show.
Rick

if your asking how much for mine,aroung 600.00 with slider system,and seat

Back