Who is fishing SE PA?

JustFish

JustFish

Been building a resumé and a business for the last bunch of years=no fishing. Will be moving back to North West suburbs of Philly in a couple weeks. How’s Valley Creek been fishing? It’s been 5 or 6 years since I’ve fished it.

I'm a SE PA guy- I haven't fished valley in a couple months or so but will be getting out today for a few hours before I have to switch gears and get some work done around the house before the ole lady makes me sleep on the couch. I'll check back in to let you know how I do.

Valley typically treats me pretty well, it's my home stream and I fish it frequently. I find it's a stream that if you aren't catching fish in the usual hangs you definitely need to change up your flies till you get a go (if they haven't spooked obviously). I had a day where I couldn't buy a fish on a black midge and I switched over to a cream midge same size, profile, same everything and started nailing them one after another. Go figure on a size 20 fly. Valley will either drive you nuts or make your drive home a very happy one!

The past year I've gotten skunked, had a 20+ fish day, and many average days so id say fishing is pretty good on an average.

Circling back for ya-

I had a decent day, landed 5 hooked into 8. They were taking a waltz worm and a hares ear. Had a beast of a fish break me off (it's rare but they are there). Nicest one I landed was about 12".

I am

What does "I am" mean?

Eminen fan?

I fished Valley about a month ago for a few hours in the evening as a front was moving in. Water was very low and clear. LOTS of risers, mostly very small. I landed a few on nymphs, some on dries and one very aggressive 8"er on a streamer! I saw a few that were about 12".

My overall impression was there has been 1-2 great year classes recently based on the abundance of 4-8"ers.

Disclaimer: I only fished about 75 yards of stream in the park. YMMV.

Valley is in great shape if the yoy make it through this winter. I fish it about 1 time per month. As far as SEPA, within an hour, there is great fishing for wild fish all over Lehigh and Northampton, even Bucks and Berks if you do your homework. Welcome back.

Update on valley- as of this Saturday 10/28. Lots of fish on redds. If you're gonna fish it please be responsible and watch where you wade and don't bother the fish holding on the redds. I did well Saturday with 9 to net, the best being about 10".

Fish are fair game in my book if they aren't staged up. If you fish valley in the coming months please be respectful and aware that they are gearing up to get their f*** on.

Sorry for such a late response but with the move and starting the business back up I’ve been very busy. Just got caught up and am setting up my fly tying stuff looking to hit up Valley in the next week on a nice day. I used to fish that stream religiously from 99-2009. I had a lot of success with scud patterns, midges, Caddis larvae, hairs eares and terrestrials late summer early fall. I used to have permission to fish private property from past clients. I’m gonna have to reconnect with them soon.

I’m very famialiar with the stream. What I was asking is the stream itself improving or declining. I know Valley Forge TU was doing a lot of restoration work because of all the runoff. Any old timers have a enough time on the stream to know?

Also, hope to see you guys out there at some point. Thanks for all the replies.

Back