Who had the fly rod out today?

Letort

Letort

I was on the Yellow Breeches today and saw one other person with a fly rod.

I have been using the fly rod exclusively on opening day for about 10 years now. Some years have been very successful, more so than the bait chuckers.

Not today though. Brought two to net with a wooly bugger and green worm dropper. Tail hooked one which I released and lost 3-4 others.

Spin fisherman with minnows killed it today all around me. Wasn't even close.

I did. I was on Martin's Creek in the afternoon. Brought a nice Brownie to the net. I was using a #16 BH FB Pheasant Tail. (I had been drifting a pink San Juan and a black Woolley Bugger with no action at all)

The spinning guys had pretty much cleared out (Though one was fishing off the bridge, LOL.. As some idiot on a dirt bike pierced the quiet with his 2 stroke engine for about 20 mins, round and round)

I fished that cut in the bank a couple more times, and one rose to my fluffy yellow yarn indicator! So I tied on a #12 Tan Foam Caddis, but no luck for a second strike. LOL.

Spent some time on McMichael's creek today. Got 4 to hand and missed a couple more. Frenchie and black Bugger did the trick for me.

Goofed off with the chapter at the food stands til around 4pm and then spent til dark with another guy harrassing troots on the North Branch of Muddy. What a rewarding day and a fun ending. Had the stream to ourselves. Willing and eager fish. Good water level and color.

Boom chugga lugga!

Landed 7 and lost about another six swinging buggers and wets in a few hours fishing right behind the guy with me. Fun stuff.

I did, and you can probably guess where. Yep, the Breeches in the C&R area. Caught between 6-8 and missed a few others. Caught browns, bows, and a couple brookies.

Got out with my new glass Kenney about 3:00, just as the weather turned nice. Was hoping for risers and willow flies, but the spin guys made the trouts keep their heads down. A streamer trailed by beadhead softhackles did the trick. Funny that the black stone fly softie caught several browns, but an amber one got the brookies. Completed the grand slam when the rainbow hit a garish streamer.

Got out for the first time today and had a good time though less productive than most. Fished mid to late afternoon and managed seven trout; stocked browns with a couple rainbows. Majority on a bh caddis pupa and one on a no. 16 gray soft hackle on the first drift with it. Called it quits shortly after that. Saw several fly fishermen. or at least guys with fly rods. Water levels were actually higher than average with a slight tinge to it. Hoping we keep getting the rain.

Was working the food stands for Muddy Creek TU all day but I did get a bit of a chuckle from one young man. Said he was fishing behind two fly fishers who were catching and releasing many, many trout. Said he caught nothing til he got ahead of them.

I decided to fish for shad on the Susquehanna in the afternoon and did very well.I tried the shad flies that I bought at Sandfly's Shop last Fall on the way back from Sasquach's jam/trip.The flies were very effective..much more than my usual patterns,for sure.
There were some guys fishing white Deer Creek,but I fished in the river

AFISHN, did you fish from a boat? I want to try that area for shad. Glad to hear there is a good run. Myself and a few friends flyfished for shad on the Potomac all day yesterday and did fairly well. Would 1,000x take shad over opening day trout...but I am fortunate to live close to a shad run.

Letort wrote:
I was on the Yellow Breeches today and saw one other person with a fly rod.

Interesting.
I was fishing Breeches too on opening day (upper section) and was surprised how many fly rods I saw. Many of these fly rod guys were using bait (yes, definitely minnows) but others appeared to actually be fishing flies.

For first time ever, I fished all of opening day with a fly rod at Skipback Creek. Most of the day.. nothing. Found a hole and then.
..28 nice trout. BEST DAY EVER!!! I was about to cry and grab a spinning rod... but, I must admit I am glad I did not

Back