Whiteflies

Swattie87

Swattie87

Might have a chance to get out Sunday evening on the lower reaches of the Swatara. For any of the Susky guys...have there still been any whiteflies around the Harrisburg area?

I was coming through Marietta Tuesday night and there was a hatch on based on bug activity at the local Rutter's/Sheetz. Didn't get a chance to check on what it was, but it was pretty thick. Plenty of mayflies wacking the car along and across the river.

Last weekend, I fished a short stretch above the fulling mill road access by canoe. Caught three small bass and that was it. Plenty of life in that river. Caddis, what looked like sulphurs, and some Hex's near dark. Also, tons of minnows. Saw maybe three fish rise for the four hours we were there and we fished almost until dark.

It had been a bluebird day and the water actually felt cool. Met two guys getting out when we were. They said this was the worst they had done all summer. They asked us if we kept fish and we said no. They said they keep everything that is legal. I am guessing that is at least partly why the fishing has tailed off in that stretch. But they were nice guys, they said they ate the fish they caught, and were enthusiastic about fishing so I found it hard to be mad!

We saw three other boats that evening including one canoe with a motor on it that they rolled. I thought they were going to kill the one guy.

First time I fished that stretch and I liked it but seems to get hit hard. Plus there are a couple houses and docks along the stretch so I am pretty sure there are a number of guys who know this stretch well.

Back