white river fly shop waders

L

lycoflyfisher

anyone have any experience with these waders from basspro? they look pretty good and have features that other waders lack in this price range. I am in college and need a solid, but affordable pair of waders for both fishing and my internship this summer.

They're crap. I didn't even get one season out of them, they were leaking in the crotch and at the inseams near the calf before the end of the season.

Ok thanks, anyone have any suggestions on an affordable pair of waders that is decent quality?

Unfortunately when asking questions like this you get answers from the "can't spend enough money" crowd and the "can't spend to little" crowd.

I prefer spending less on everything I buy. I use cabelas waders and have been very happy with them. I also use cabellas wading boots and have been very happy with them. My new pair has fished perfectly for one year and they are still going strong.

I wet wade with just the wading boots alot which really extends the life of the waders.

if you are going to be wearing them a lot for your internship (everyday) get a good pair i.e. a Simms Gore-Tex wader. Look at the waders as an investment to your future. Tell your parents you need a good pair for your internship and have them buy them. It sucks to fish in leaky waders and I'd assume its even worse to work in them.

Yes I will be wearing them everyday for my internship, I just really don't have $400 to drop on a pair of Simms. Anyone have experience with the frog tog waders, specifically the anuras? I looked at a pair of those tonight and they seem to be built a lot better than my old ones and for $160.

I have a pair of Hodgeman breathable waders that have not leaked in the two seasons I used them. They are my backups, so I guess I have worn them 10 or more times. But for less than $100, they have served me well.

Suggest you look at reviews/warranties regarding lower priced waders. i.e. Frogg Toggs v. Cabelas v White River v. LL Bean v. Hodgeman and so on.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Yes I will be wearing them everyday for my internship, I just really don't have $400 to drop on a pair of Simms. Anyone have experience with the frog tog waders, specifically the anuras? I looked at a pair of those tonight and they seem to be built a lot better than my old ones and for $160.

If you can't afford a higher end pair of waders, ie G3's, then you are better off just getting the cheapest pair of waders LL Bean sells. Sure they're gonna be a POS that leaks in 3 months, but you can just return them and get a new pair every time for free.

What kind of internship do you have where you get to wear waders everyday. that sounds like a good summer job.

i'll second the Hodgemans. i have some as back up.

but what will you be doing in your waders - mostly deep wading, or most;y scrambling about on banks, in a boat etc.

if its the former, any decent pair will do - beans, hodgeman, orvis silver label, if its the latter, you want breathability, ease of movement, patches on knees n butt etc i.e. a few $$$ more spent.

fit the tools to the job.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Anyone have experience with the frog tog waders, specifically the anuras? I looked at a pair of those tonight and they seem to be built a lot better than my old ones and for $160.

I'm currently using the Frog Toggs Hellbender(not 100% sure on the name, they were about $120) stockingfoot breathable waders. I got them last April and they held up ok until a few weeks ago when they started leaking a tad bit, and just today I had to empty the water out of them after a day of fishing. I do a ton of wet wading in the summer which really saves on the wear and tear, but then again when I am wearing them often times I'm busting through brush, etc... The leaks I don't think are from tears though, it seems like the material is just giving away mostly at the seams. Might just Aquaseal them up for now and not worry about getting a new pair until fall...

poopdeck wrote:
What kind of internship do you have where you get to wear waders everyday. that sounds like a good summer job.

I am interning with trout unlimited with the acid mine drainage program. Expect to be surveying a lot of smaller tributaries and some bigger streams, so chest waders are a must and with the walking that will be done breathables are pretty much necessary. Thanks for all the advice! I tried a friends pair of frog toggs yesterday and they seemed pretty nice, am gonna try a few more before I make a decision.

Dear lyco,

They only have 2 pairs of Orvis Silver labels in stock but these are good waders at a fair price so maybe one of the sizes they have left will fit you?

http://www.eveninghatch.com/sales_closeout.htm#ORVIS_SILVER_LABEL_CLASSIC_WADERS

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I think I would get 2 pairs a pair of hippers and a stout pair of chest waders . I bet the hippers will get the most use.

Try the new Orvis waders.

I have Caddis brand waders from Amazon that I paid around $100 for. They look like crap compared to some nice Simms waders, but I've used them for two years now and I'm always bone dry when I take them off. I paired them up with some decent Simms boots to make myself feel better, and I haven't had any issues. Looking to upgrade to a nice brand in year 3 so I consider $50.00 a year of dry wading to be worth it there...

I had cabelas dry plus for about 11 years and they just started leaking two weeks ago. I just bought another pair. For my money I can't seem to find better waders. $160.

Very comfortable with built in gravel guards and an extra layer in the knees. Plus removable shoulder straps so they can be rolled down to waist high waders.

Buy 2 pairs of the ll bean waders with a lifetime warranty. When one pair leaks send them back to get replaced and then wear the other pair. That way you always have a pair even when one pair is being replaced.

Back