Whip Finishing

C

charliepff

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I have been fly fishing for a while, but, I have been buying flies. My wife use to tie some, and my friend recently gave me his fly tying stuff. So I would like to try to tie simple nymphs, wooly buggers, and such patterns like that.

The issue I am having is that I can not use a whip finisher for the life of me. I have watched tons of videos and try to use the standard finisher, and I can not. I was wondering how many just use half hitches to finish or whip finish with their fingers?

Next question, where can I find recipes for tying some of the stuff on the market? I do have the Orvis book which gives me a good idea. Is there any other good sources I should pick up?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Find a local shop or TU or club and take a beginner course, all will be revealed.

6whipfinishers2.gif

Which one?

If you have anything but a Materelli, you're right, no amount of videos will make any sense.

If its the Materelli, its very easy. Some how, this guy turns it into a 3 minute affair, and probably says all sorts of very useless "sage" misadvise through it, but at 48 seconds he shows you how to grab the thread and then proceeds to somehow take two additional minutes to spin it around the shank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PwX71zzkM

If you have a Thompson, throw it out. Then, goto a store and buy a Materelli and ask the guy who sold it to you how to use it.

To answer your questions, I prefer to whip finish with my fingers; it was the way I originally learned and have always done so for 25 years. I do employ half-hitches as needed, though my Great Uncle John has been tying for 50 years, and typically uses a half-hitch tool. I included a video I made that shows not only the two main whip finishers, but also whip finish by hand and half-hitch.

Many people mentioned learning these techniques in person, and I believe that is excellent advice. The videos are great, but it's more beneficial to have someone there that can give you immediate feedback on your technique.

Good luck!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN8masmBqAg[/youtube]

charliepff wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I have been fly fishing for a while, but, I have been buying flies. My wife use to tie some, and my friend recently gave me his fly tying stuff. So I would like to try to tie simple nymphs, wooly buggers, and such patterns like that.

The issue I am having is that I can not use a whip finisher for the life of me. I have watched tons of videos and try to use the standard finisher, and I can not. I was wondering how many just use half hitches to finish or whip finish with their fingers?

Next question, where can I find recipes for tying some of the stuff on the market? I do have the Orvis book which gives me a good idea. Is there any other good sources I should pick up?

Thanks everyone for the help.

You can do it by hand to. Takes time to get used to but when you loose the tool its nice to know.

It seems the whip finish has been addressed. As for the books, I would recommend Eric Leisure's "Book of Fly Patterns". It has a lot of classic recipes.

For a book that covers the basic patterns, Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes.

I too prefer to whip finish by hand. I have a matarelli, but seem to always break thread with it.

Where are you located? If there isn't a local shop near you, maybe a forum member could show you.

there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with half hitches to finish the fly!

searching the internet for fly patterns will provide you more patterns than any book will provide!

example: wooly bugger

https://www.google.com/search?q=wooly+bugger&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=EAH7U42_PJWcyQTf2YGwAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1200&bih=628

get this book. no patterns, just techniques

690342.jpg

hand whip finish

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M482D0wFvHA

one finger whip finish

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duab70VkSjQ

Different people learn in different ways. If a number of videos, presuming they were good ones, of how to use the whip finisher did not help you, I suggest you take your stuff to a TU chapter meeting and someone will show you. You can join TU before, when you go, or not at all. There is bound to be members there that would help.

They also can take a look at your finisher and let you know how best to use it or whether it may be wise to use something else.

When I started tying tackling the whip finish was my first goal. It took me about 20 min a day for 3 days of practice to tie the knot without looking at a book or video. After that I still had occasional problems for about a month.

Thanks everyone for the info. The wife and I will pick up one of the books. I am checking with our local shop and one in the Shenandoah valley when they have classes. Preferably just for me the other half. In the meantime I will try to tie some easy patterns. If anyone has a suggestion what to start with I am all ears.

I will be up in PA the next few weeks fishing sporadically, but, most of them will be day trips. I will not be up for two or three day tours until October.

I am a member of trout unlimited and I am not to familiar with the meetings and what kind of assistance can be obtained there. I appreciate everyone's help. Also, the whip finisher is a Thompson.

TCtrout, that is about a clear a video as one will find on finishing knots. I use the Materelli simply because my fingers are rougher then an emery board and the thread gets caught in all the roughness.

My guess is you already know how to whip finish. Fly fisherman call it a whip finish. Bait fishermen Oh my call it a Snell knot. I think whip finish is Latin for snell knot.

Thanks for the kind words; I really appreciate it and hope it helps for finishing! When I started tying, using those tools was difficult and I want others to make the transition from half-hitch to whip finish (or snell knot???) a little easier.

TC

poopdeck wrote:
TCtrout, that is about a clear a video as one will find on finishing knots. I use the Materelli simply because my fingers are rougher then an emery board and the thread gets caught in all the roughness.

Good advise all around but you must know men gain knowledge three different ways.

1. Some men gain their knowledge through reading.

2. Others gain knowledge by observing others.

3. And most men, including myself, will pee on the electric fence to see for themselves.

The old timer that taught me to tie flies made me promise never to buy a whip finish tool. Hands all the way.

Back