whip finish tool

P

Pap

would there ba a video on how to ues this tool? I bought one and can't seem to figure it out.
Pap

materelli or thompson?

There's a bunch on YouTube. That's how I learned.

It is a Doctor Slick. Purchased at TCO.
Pap

It's gotta be a materelli. I don't think I've seen a thompson in a shop in a while.

That said, I use a thompson, but I use it like a materelli. I've since modified it with a few specific bends, and prefer it over the few materellis that I've since bought. I sat down for a while, and that's what I came up with.

Pap, I agree with the youtube suggestions. I wish I had done that rather than wasting time fiddling with the stupid thing.

Google searches show Dr. Slicks are all Materellis.

Pap, watch a couple of videos, and trust me...once you get the hang of it, it will become automatic for you.

This is about the best video I've seen so far! Thanks for the link!
Pap

Yeah it can be rough at first but once you get the hang of it you wont beleive how easy and essential it is. Then learn how tondo it without the tool. Almosy as easy!

The only thing I'd add that the video might or might not address is not to make your wraps with the tool too tight. If you make your wraps too tight and then try to pull the thread to complete the finish you're more likely to break your thread.

Which is why I converted my thompson to a mattawhatever. :)

It's not so hard to whip finish a fly without a tool. Just look at how the tool holds the thread and do the same thing with your fingers.

I bought the Matarelli, but I do it by hand or with a pen.

Back