Which would you get?

I own or have casted many of the rods listed and I personally think that you will really enjoy a TFO rod. I honestly think they are absolutely the best rod for the money comparing to rods much higher in price. Here are their dealers in the state. I'd say go out and cast one of these and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I'm also in the camp that if you want something for larger all purpose use you will be much better served with a 8 to 9 ft 5 wt. Again, don't take my opinion for it but try to find a shop that will allow you to cast some different rods in your range and if you do go second hand you'll at least have a really good idea of what you're getting.

Tight Lines!

Forgot the link:

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/dealers/PA/index.html#TFO

These rods are too wimpy for my taste. I prefer a fast action rod for small stream fishing. When I've purchased rods I've tested many different rods before making a selection. I usually do this at the shows because that is where you get the opportunity to try out rods by all the different manufacturers. I suggest you try out rods by all the different manufacturers before you decide. If you don't you may end up with something you don't want. I didn't like the GL 2, GL 3 or the latest from Loomis. They just didn't feel right. However, I did find Loomis rods at the shows that were not available afterward, not sure why, but I ended up getting them.
And the price was exeptionally good, any time you can get a new Loomis rod for $220, it a great deal.

I too like the Temple Fork Rods, owning 3, 4, and 5 weight TFO rods. I prefer the TiCr series but they don't come in short lengths. With TFO you have to move to a slower action for thier shorter rods. I'm looking for suggestions on short rods with similar or faster action that the TFO TiCr series. Something in the 4 to 5 weight 7"6" range.

TFO is a decent rod, certainly for the price. Like Chaz I prefer fast action rods. I can’t seem to find any fast rods at a reasonable price, let’s say even for less than $300. The highest priced rods for nearly all rod makers seem to be the fastest action rods. Loomis comes the closest from what I see out there.

I’ve been building a few rods and they turned out great. I plan to go that route when I “need” a new rod. Cheaper fast action rods don’t exist, especially in shorter lengths.

afishinado wrote:
TFO is a decent rod, certainly for the price. Like Chaz I prefer fast action rods. I can’t seem to find any fast rods at a reasonable price, let’s say even for less than $300. The highest priced rods for nearly all rod makers seem to be the fastest action rods. Loomis comes the closest from what I see out there.

I’ve been building a few rods and they turned out great. I plan to go that route when I “need” a new rod. Cheaper fast action rods don’t exist, especially in shorter lengths.

Which blanks are you using?

My first practice builds were on cheaper blanks for friends and my wife – Pac Bay & Rainforest. They turned out nice, but are slow action rods. I built a St. Croix Ultra 9’ 8wt this season after Pad recommended it for smallmouths and I test casted a factory rod. It’s a really nice casting rod that’s pretty fast and handles Bass flies real well.

I would recommend St. Croix for SCIV – this blank is the Ultra Legend. It has a fairly fast action and casts well short as well as long. It comes in many lengths and weights and the blank costs less than $200 for the lighter weights. You can have a nice rod for under $250 with decent components. The Elite is a real nice faster action rod in the St. Croix line, but is rather pricey. The faster the rod, the higher the price it seems.

http://www.shofftackle.com/SC-4F-Blanks.html

Dan Craft makes some pretty fair fast blanks for around $100, but they’re all in 9’ lengths

http://www.dancraftent.com/category/index.cfm?cid=9&lvl=1

I’m looking to build a high end 4 wt rod this winter. I am looking at the Sage Z-axis, the Scott S3, and the Gatti FR-TA.

Remember always test cast before you buy or build a rod. My treasure could be your trash. Good luck.

Back