Which leaves fight the best?

The catalpa is the strongest, especially once it dogs you into the current. I fish for them with nothing less than a 8wt.

Nymph-wristed wrote:
Sycamores fall early and are plentiful. Pin oaks fall all winter. But when a catalpa turns its wide body in the current, you need more than side pressure. Anybody else have any favorites :-D The Tully fished okay yesterday, mid-60s, dirty release water, but the leaf hatch is already on too...

I saw the OP, and even before reading it, my answer was catalpa.

Easy to hook, too.

Zucinni leaves are the biggest.

My friend found out that Milkpod plants are unforgiving. My fly rod is at the shop getting repaired/replaced.

Well, if you want to go that far, I'd say lilly pads fight best.

This reminds me of a fall day on the West Branch of Perkiomen Creek. I was fishing or at least trying to among the fallen leaves when to my dismay my caddis landed on a leaf. Not to worry a wild browny took the opportunity to smash the leaf that the fly landed on and immediately took my fly. After landing the trout and gently releasing it I started casting again and caught several more.
This section on creek would not be a trout stream if not for the shade that the leaves provide during the summer months, the temperatures would be in the 80's and it would be frog water. The results of our temperature monitoring in the past clearly indicate this fact.

Back