Which cheap line to buy and DT or WF

Pauly

Pauly

I'm going to replace my line on my old #7 rod. I'm going to get a #4 or #5 rod later so I don't want to spend much for a line.

I need a #7 line and was considering trying a DT. I was going to get the "Cabella's Prestige Floating Fly Line - DT" for $29.99. But with tax and shipping it comes to $41.28...

So I figured ****s sporting goods would have something less expensive. Any recommendations???

Also,
I read that DT or WF makes no difference at short distance roll casts. I don't know I still want to try it. does anyone like DT over WF and why.

Hey Pauly why not just drive up an get the line from Cabela's?

I would get the Cortland 333 WF...I like it!

Yeah I know but my car gets 17mpg and the trip is clos to 90 miles round trip. So it's a $20 car ride. It's cheaper to have it shipped.

If I go up there I'm going to have to buy a new rod! I'm not read for that yet.

Pauly wrote:
Also,
I read that DT or WF makes no difference at short distance roll casts. I don't know I still want to try it. does anyone like DT over WF and why.

I think that what you have read is true. If I understand the issue correctly, older WF lines had shorter heads and were harder to roll cast, but more modern lines have a more balanced design that largely eliminates this problem. I use both, and for most of what I do (short distance and roll cast) I see no difference. It may also be that different rods will be more or less responsive to the differences when roll casting. At least in theory the flex of the rod could be a factor. And of course, your personal casting style may be a significant factor. I am slowly moving to all DT lines just because I like the feel, but I have no rational argument for why.

For the truely thrifty, a DT is like two lines in one. When you begin to experience wear on one end, simply reverse it and you are good for another couple of years. Believe the WF has an advantage at long distances, I doubt there is any real difference st the instances most of us fish for trout.

Get a DT and don't be cheap. A quality line will cast much better. DT will double the life.

Cortland 333 and 444 are decent lines.

For me, all the lines I've ever had work more or less as well as any other. The difference between "good" and "poor" is in longevity, and I'm not really sure if there's a real good correlation to price.

The DT trick of turning it around is attractive. But the little used back side of my last 2 lines wore out as much as the front. Little micro-cracks on the surface and loss of floatability. I assume the reason was that they were still on the reel and getting exposed to water, sun, etc.

For my brookie rod, I actually got a DT and cut it in half, and only put half on the reel, the other half hopefully won't wear out and I'll actually get the longevity advantage of a DT then. I won't do it with the big stream rods, though. As a side bonus, I get to say "I can cast a whole line!" lol.

My line becomes cracked over time and even if I would want to switch it over to the other side for a DT that side is cracked also. I just get the Cortland 333 and change it every year or 2. Even the higher end lines crack over time if you go enough. For the type of fishing I do (95% nymphing) I like how the 333WF rolls over.

Go with the DT, for short dist. roll casting you won't notice a difference but at 40 ft or so you will. If you were only throwing dries at 40-75 ft i'd say a WF. My vote is also for a cortland 333 if looking for good but inexpensive. If you want a weight forward in 7wt pm me, I have one from hook and hackle I bought and have yet to even spool up. I'm also not too far from you.

Orvis still has some Wonderline Gen3's on sale in their clearance section for $29.

I bought one last summer on sale and really like it. They are made by Sci-Anglers and then Orvis gives them their own surface coating and packages them for sale.

Very supple and slick as can be.

Shock

cabela's prestige fly line, i think about 29$

I have some Clearwater fly lines on sale for $19 in the shop.

Dear Pauly,

If you just want a usable fly line why not take advantage of this link that Tom Gamber. posted a year of so ago?

http://www.fortackle.com/

They have factory second fly lines for $ 9.50. I bought 4 last year to use on bass and panfish rods and with shipping it came to about $ 45.00. All the lines I received were perfectly usable lines. The only disadvantage, and it's a minor one, is that you may not get the color you'd like.

But for less that $ 12.00 a line, who cares?

As far as DT vs. WF, it's pretty much a wash anymore. The only thing you need to be aware of is that if you are replacing a DT line with a WF you may need some additional backing on your reel to fill the spool, and if you are working in reverse you may need to remove some backing to stick a DT on spool that held a WF.

A DT line takes up approximately 10 to 15% space on a reel due to the fact that the middle 60% of the line is of a heavier uniform thickness with the taper on the ends.

A WF line has the rough equivalent of a mini DT line on the forward section of the line and ends with 50 to 60% of thinner diameter running line.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks for that link its exactly what I'm looking for....Im going to put a #8 on my rod and use it on the Delaware when the water gets warm.

yo Pauly, wanna hit the Delaware sometime let me know,IMHO Cortland and Rio make the best Double tapers currently, The Cortland 444 is a great line one i started out with also Rio Trout Lt double taper is also excellent.I use both aside from my two other favorites...Wullf Triangle Taper Trout Lines,and Rio Windcutters Trout 4,5,6 weights as well as Windcutter Spey 4/5,5/6 for my Trout Spey Rod.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Here's some information. Hope it helps:

http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_guide/fly_lines_guide3.shtm#double

Back