Where would you fish? State College

The Kish is an option. Right off 322 and plenty of stocked and native trout.
You'll find more space. I don't know how hard it is to find the turn-offs in the narrows. THere are like 3 highways and a rail road running through there. ONe pull off I used was down a fairly steep dirt road to a flat spot with lots of trash and a camper. There was a wonderful pool right there with what seemed like every spring mayfly hatching all at once. Kish is a disrespected, unacknowledged jewel. It's geology is JUST like Penns: 1 warmer, larger longer stream, 2 colder spring feeder creeks and it plunges through a gap in the ridges. It's just all populated and built-up with roads. The quality of the creek and the habitat is as good as anywhere.

You'll find more space. I don't know how hard it is to find the turn-offs in the narrows. THere are like 3 highways and a rail road running through there. ONe pull off I used was down a fairly steep dirt road to a flat spot with lots of trash and a camper. There was a wonderful pool right there with what seemed like every spring mayfly hatching all at once. Kish is a disrespected, unacknowledged jewel. It's geology is JUST like Penns: 1 warmer, larger longer stream, 2 colder spring feeder creeks and it plunges through a gap in the ridges. It's just all populated and built-up with roads. The quality of the creek and the habitat is as good as anywhere.
I've gotten in the habit of getting beer at the Sheetz at Lewistown on my way to Penns. Sometimes I'll go the back way. It's so hard not to stop!

The Kish is on my radar for a day trip. But fishing "in town" isn't terribly appealing when I'm trying to get "out of town" if you will.

Coming up 322 and headed NW, Poe Paddy is every bit as close as Weikert/Coburn. It's a 30 minute detour on dirt roads as opposed to a 30 minute detour on paved ones. As a warning though, a lot of it is walk in, so that adds time. And anywhere on Penns, well, it's an "on/off" stream. One of those places where you can fish much of a day and catch 0-2 fish, and then get 10 in the next hour.

It's worth visiting, but temper your expectations of success if you only have a few hours. The fish are big and healthy compared to the other streams of the area you have fished, though.

Coming up 322 and headed NW, Poe Paddy is every bit as close as Weikert/Coburn. It's a 30 minute detour on dirt roads as opposed to a 30 minute detour on paved ones. As a warning though, a lot of it is walk in, so that adds time. And anywhere on Penns, well, it's an "on/off" stream. One of those places where you can fish much of a day and catch 0-2 fish, and then get 10 in the next hour.

It's worth visiting, but temper your expectations of success if you only have a few hours. The fish are big and healthy compared to the other streams of the area you have fished, though.

Good points. If you just have a few hours, I recommend Kish Creek or Spring Creek.

When you more time for extra driving, and exploring and "savoring the experience", go to Penns Creek. Get a campsite at Poe Paddy for a long weekend and soak it all in.

@pcray1231 thanks for the perspective. I usually go into fishing new water with the hope of catching 1 fish.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to fish anything in the state college area that was in ideal condition. My trip to spring, the water was borderline blown out, and last year I caught less than ideal conditions on BFC with 25+ mph sustained winds and gusts over 45mph. I have great luck when traveling to fish 😂

To wrap up this thread, I fished Penns below Coburn at the first parking lot. Manged 5 in 2.5 hours. It was definitely challenging to break down all the water. I definitely need to get back for a few days.
Caddis patterns were the ticket.

Thanks everyone for the help.

20220429 132754
20220429 132404

Back