Where to go on a canoe trip this weekend?

T

Taimenpala

Hello!

My Dad and I are looking to do a two day canoe float trip this weekend and we're wondering what waters would be the best to take a trip down. I live in the Harrisburg area while he lives in the Pittsburgh area, so we'd prefer to go to someplace in between those two cities. Obviously there's the Yough and Juniata, but since we're unfamiliar with floating down either of them (we've only fished either from shore or wading), we aren't as familiar with how they're fishing this time of year, nor what flows would be ideal for a canoe down both rivers. Any pointers, suggestions, or ideas would be appreciated!! I'll end this post off by saying I'm not looking for anyone's honeyhole or secret spot.

Maybe the Clarion?

Alrighty, I took silverfox's suggestion to float the Raystown Branch and I have to say it was a wonderful suggestion. Thank you very much! My Dad and I had a great time catching smallies in a couple spots between Everett and Hopewell. I'll definitely be going back sometime.

That being said, it is VERY low there now. We ended up just taking the canoe in and out of some spots instead of doing a full float due to the low flow. Talked to a couple of people with camps along the river and they were saying it was too low to even kayak comfortably. Just putting this as a PSA out there in case anyone else is thinking of going there soon. It's probably better to wait for some rain if you don't want to drag the boat too much.

Alrighty, I took silverfox's suggestion to float the Raystown Branch and I have to say it was a wonderful suggestion. Thank you very much! My Dad and I had a great time catching smallies in a couple spots between Everett and Hopewell. I'll definitely be going back sometime.

That being said, it is VERY low there now. We ended up just taking the canoe in and out of some spots instead of doing a full float due to the low flow. Talked to a couple of people with camps along the river and they were saying it was too low to even kayak comfortably. Just putting this as a PSA out there in case anyone else is thinking of going there soon. It's probably better to wait for some rain if you don't want to drag the boat too much.
Great to hear! Yes, since I mentioned the flows being good it has dropped a LOT! I wouldn’t recommend floating it now until we get more rain.

The dunnings creek gauge is the best tool to gauge the flows. The Raystown gauges are a bit deceiving. 26-30cfs on dunnings is good. 20 is borderline. 18 is too low.

Back