Where to go for wild browns.

mdamm318

mdamm318

My daughter is going to school in Elizbethtown Pa and I was wondering the closest place I might find a spot to try for native browns. Not very familiar with the area.

My daughter is going to school in Elizbethtown Pa and I was wondering the closest place I might find a spot to try for native browns. Not very familiar with the area.
Native means evolved in that particular stream to interact sustainably with other native aquatic creatures to maintain a high number of other species(bio diversity). Brown trout are an invasive species, albeit a pretty one, and one we choose to have for fishing reasons in many areas. looking for wild or stream bred ones I assume. I live on border of hershey and Elizabeth town and will PM you some spots in the area.

Closest native browns are iceland, its on my bucket list.

You'll find wild browns in Donegal Creek, which has a FFO section and also has wild fish upstream from the FFO. That is probably the closest stream to E-town.

You can also go north, to the Furnace Hills area, which straddles northern Lancaster County and southern Lebanon County. Hammer Creek is a stocked trout stream, which also has native brookies and wild browns. There are smaller streams in that area as well, but Hammer is easy to find and access.

Here is a link to PA trout streams:

Native means evolved in that particular stream to interact sustainably with other native aquatic creatures to maintain a high number of other species(bio diversity). Brown trout are an invasive species, albeit a pretty one, and one we choose to have for fishing reasons in many areas. looking for wild or stream bred ones I assume. I live on border of hershey and Elizabeth town and will PM you some spots in the area.

Was that really necessary?

:rolleyes:

Dear Salmo,

Cross the Susquehanna River and fish Muddy Creek and Cordorus Creek. Maurice the moderator will be able to give tips on places to access both streams.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

If you feel like being daring, you could try Spring Creek in the Harrisburg Capital Area Greenbelt.

yea spring creek in Harrisburg is a fun stream. Its a rough area kinda sorta so be safe fish middle of the day or when the capital green belt trail is busy

Horse dead

i won’t reveal the specific spot I PM’d the original poster but I also said, and some might agree, any stream that has wild reproduction on pa fish and boats interactive map likely gives you a shot at some low density but decent size brown trout downstream in what would be the summer time small mouth water but isn’t this time of year. Thats been my experience in the winter.

Last edited:
yea spring creek in Harrisburg is a fun stream. Its a rough area kinda sorta so be safe fish middle of the day or when the capital green belt trail is busy
Rough area, kinda sorta? That's like saying it's a little warm in Vegas but there's low humidity. I've met guys that have caught really good fish out of it but there's no way I'm going there. Tiny, carved through a tunnel of brush and close to hall manor where there are gun shots fired EVERY DAY

Rough area, kinda sorta? That's like saying it's a little warm in Vegas but there's low humidity. I've met guys that have caught really good fish out of it but there's no way I'm going there. Tiny, carved through a tunnel of brush and close to hall manor where there are gun shots fired EVERY DAY
Lol i guess I’ll stop night fishing it then. Explains why last time i got back to my car police shined spotlight on me and thought i was selling drugs…..the. Saw the fly rod.

View attachment 1641228211
Tails bent towards me so it looks short but yea some nice fish show up every now and again there.
Dear Fish Sticks,

How'd the invader taste? Was it as good as water supply reservoir run brookie? Those are great to eat!

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

Dear Fish Sticks,

How'd the invader taste? Was it as good as water supply reservoir run brookie? Those are great to eat!

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)
Lol I did not keep the fish because the stream is locally socially valued as a wild brown trout fishery and not much else is alive in there. Contrary to what some may think just because brown trout are invasive I don’t go around killing them in areas where the fly fishing community values them as wild brown trout fisheries and they are not in conflict with known sensitive species. Thats not the hill to die on and i have compromise in me. I hope that people will also compromise in the other direction when it comes to places where native brook trout or chesapeake log perch still swim.

I don’t keep many fish period. Fishsticks and his frying pan won’t accomplish anything alone.

Last edited:
Spring Cr near Harrisburg is a special place. I was there one time and there was a rain storm for a half hour the creek turned grey and newspapers and trash immediately started coming down. Probably drains more asphalt than soil. And yet there are fish there. I am not afraid in cities any more than anywhere else and have even lived in some but that area I get a bad vibe.

lol didnt see that coming lol

With the warmer weather this weekend, I’m hoping to get out on New Years Day. I was thinking about going up to Yellow Breeches, but I imagine it may be crowded (for this time of year). So I’m trying to think of another stream to try for the first time.

Spring Cr near Harrisburg is a special place. I was there one time and there was a rain storm for a half hour the creek turned grey and newspapers and trash immediately started coming down. Probably drains more asphalt than soil. And yet there are fish there. I am not afraid in cities any more than anywhere else and have even lived in some but that area I get a bad vibe.
I worked on 'allison hill' in Harrisburg for 16 years. Many people consider it the roughest and most dangerous place in the city. IMHO, it's 25% as dangerous as the 'hall manor' section. Don't even like driving around there at noon while carrying.

Tires, shopping carts and possibly a human femur is all possible in that creek 🤣

With the warmer weather this weekend, I’m hoping to get out on New Years Day. I was thinking about going up to Yellow Breeches, but I imagine it may be crowded (for this time of year). So I’m trying to think of another stream to try for the first time.
Falling springs might be closer, but also from where you live i don’t know if beaver creek by the new precision fly shop location would be close too in MD?

Tires, shopping carts and possibly a human femur is all possible in that creek
You'd be surprised, you can find human femurs in some pretty remote places too... No need to be in the rough section of town....

Back