Where to go fishing this weekend? (SE PA)

If going to the CV you can also fish the upper Breeches. I live on a tributary and it is up but clear. From Huntsdale down 4 or 5 miles will be fishable. Anything above Mountain creek in Mt Holly Springs will have catchable fish. The YBAC stocked there winter stocking about a month ago so there will be some easier fish along with the wild browns. You should have a better chance of success than other CV streams.

Well the Codorus in York County was excellent yesterday and the Gunpowder is fine.

If going to the CV you can also fish the upper Breeches. I live on a tributary and it is up but clear. From Huntsdale down 4 or 5 miles will be fishable. Anything above Mountain creek in Mt Holly Springs will have catchable fish. The YBAC stocked there winter stocking about a month ago so there will be some easier fish along with the wild browns. You should have a better chance of success than other CV streams.
Thanks for the insight! I have some pins at mount holly marsh preserve as well as on the yellow breeches slightly west of mount holly springs and tribs in the north side of the condoguinet in middlesex. Any recommendations on locations or patterns that you found success with?

Well the Codorus in York County was excellent yesterday and the Gunpowder is fine.
Bill, any recommendations of patterns that you found success with as well as access points on the Codorus? This creek is a bit south from the creeks that I was scouting such as yellow breeches, mountain creek, condoguinet, Clark’s creek, etc (first time in fishing in the area will be tomorrow)

The Breeches has a decent diverse insect population. This time of year there is a possibility of BWOs or small Black Stoneflys. However do not count on them. Under water will have Scuds in many sections of the stream. Both Granom caddis and Hendrickson nymphs will be hatching the first week of April. So these insects can be size 16-18 in nymph form. Make sure you have either weighted nymphs or use some shot. Probably both will be needed.
Anywhere off of the Pine road will work. Two easy areas to start is at Barnitz church and Barnitz mill. These are easy to find and everyone fishes them so I am not giving any secret info. or spot burning. There are plenty of small wild browns and there should be some rainbows from previous stockings.
From Carlisle take rt 34 south until you get to the Pine Road. Note you will go over the Breeches then the next right prior to Mt Holly is the pine road. Also every one calls it THE Pine road. Just a local thing.
Mt Holy has gas and a hand full of restaurants if needed.

Good luck and I hope you have a nice day on the water.

The Breeches has a decent diverse insect population. This time of year there is a possibility of BWOs or small Black Stoneflys. However do not count on them. Under water will have Scuds in many sections of the stream. Both Granom caddis and Hendrickson nymphs will be hatching the first week of April. So these insects can be size 16-18 in nymph form. Make sure you have either weighted nymphs or use some shot. Probably both will be needed.
Anywhere off of the Pine road will work. Two easy areas to start is at Barnitz church and Barnitz mill. These are easy to find and everyone fishes them so I am not giving any secret info. or spot burning. There are plenty of small wild browns and there should be some rainbows from previous stockings.
From Carlisle take rt 34 south until you get to the Pine Road. Note you will go over the Breeches then the next right prior to Mt Holly is the pine road. Also every one calls it THE Pine road. Just a local thing.
Mt Holy has gas and a hand full of restaurants if needed.

Good luck and I hope you have a nice day on the water.
Thanks for the reply! Barnitz Mill is actually a location I had pinned! Looks like a good section of the creek. Will have to give it a shot. Tomorrow will be a day of exploring a completely new area form me, so I’m very excited

Thanks for the insight! I have some pins at mount holly marsh preserve as well as on the yellow breeches slightly west of mount holly springs and tribs in the north side of the condoguinet in middlesex. Any recommendations on locations or patterns that you found success with?
I would steer more towards conodoguinet tribs coming in from the south. Much better geology for trout.

Bill, any recommendations of patterns that you found success with as well as access points on the Codorus? This creek is a bit south from the creeks that I was scouting such as yellow breeches, mountain creek, condoguinet, Clark’s creek, etc (first time in fishing in the area will be tomorrow)
Recommendation? Ha. Two dinks in two hours on a Lightning Bug. Two tugs on a black wooly bugger. I usually park between the Sawmill and Porters Sidling. Good luck.

Back