Where to go fishing this weekend? (SE PA)

D

Drecar1997

Hey folks! Long time lurker, newly joined member here. I now reside in South Jersey and am looking for some opinions on where to go fishing in SE PA this weekend (especially considering the rain we got earlier in the week). I have plenty of pins on my gps, but I cannot decide on a location for the life of me. The options that I’m most considering are the Bushkill, valley creek, Saucon creek, the little Lehigh, and hay creek. Looking for some wild browns, open to any thoughts you folks may have!

There is both a wind and flood advisory for this weekend for all of Eastern PA. Suggest you tie flies or organize your FFing gear and tackle this weekend.

There is both a wind and flood advisory for this weekend for all of Eastern PA. Suggest you tie flies or organize your FFing gear and tackle this weekend.

Appreciate the notice. I saw some inclimate weather in the forecast, but didn’t think it would be so severe. Everything is organized and my fishing itch is really hitting hard, hoping I won’t have to postpone…

Appreciate the notice. I saw some inclimate weather in the forecast, but didn’t think it would be so severe. Everything is organized and my fishing itch is really hitting hard, hoping I won’t have to postpone…
get out there if you itch for it. water in our area SEPA should be dropping today more, some of the smaller creeks I saw the past day or so looked pretty good. I was actually thinking same thing. can't catch fish sitting at home.

I can reiterate what Afish is saying...

I don't know about Valley but the region that encompasses the Bushkill, Saucon, Little Lehigh, and Hay Creek is anticipating at least 1" of rain overnight added to already swollen streams.

if you’re close by any of the above named streams I’d say by Sunday they should fish (definitely Monday if you’ve got the holiday off). Not the most optimistic of forecasts but the valley limestoners will drop quickly and have good levels for streamer and nymph fishing.

I recommend that you watch the USGS gage data from a sample of streams in the Lehigh Valley. The storm is going to be widespread, so on a relative basis the gage data from some of the streams in the area will generally tell you what’s happening in the other streams. Flows yesterday afternoon were still up in the Lehigh Valley and velocities high on the streams that I saw, stream temps were still probably down from snow melt and cool overnight temps, but water color was about perfect…slightly stained. With those velocities the only things I would have fished would have been spoons. Today the little meadow limestoner that I fish in the area would probably be in great fishing shape (like it a bit high and a bit turbid) except for the temps.

The wind and flood advisory is for tonight into Saturday and not for the past storm we had on Tuesday.

Please play it safe under such extreme conditions.

For future reference, I use the USGS gage for PA as my bible for flows when planning fishing trips >

The USGS listing gives the current flow as well as the median flow which gives you an idea what the normal flow is for that date. It also lists the temp for some gages.

Good luck.

little Lehigh is flowing 3 times normal with 1” rain expected tonight

Jordan was back in its banks and about a foot below bank full this afternoon. Half muddy and rolling along at high speed.

little Lehigh is flowing 3 times normal with 1” rain expected tonight
It’s not looking ideal. I don’t find many weekends to fish but I’m considering saving my time and staying home. Never know if you don’t go though

If you drive a couple of hours west, the CV limestoners can be fished pretty much any time. A little color on the Letort can really get them going too.

It’s a good thing it’s Wild Card Weekend.

I’m boycotting the Peacock game though. Jags.

Getting over Covid, and my taste is still half screwed up, so all my good food plans are out the window.

All of the above beats drowning trying to FF tomorrow though. Seriously, unless you’re going to some tiny Brookie stream that has a watershed size of like 1.5 sq miles or less, you’re not fishing (in moving water) tomorrow in PA. And I get a lot of funny looks for the conditions I’ll fish in…if the fishing’s good of course.

Edit: The issue is the additional rain tonight into already saturated ground and swollen watersheds. Had there not been a good bit more rain tonight, you probably would have had to look a little, but probably could have found fishable water this weekend.

Last edited:
If you drive a couple of hours west, the CV limestoners can be fished pretty much any time. A little color on the Letort can really get them going too.
This gives me hope, maybe I’ll bite the bullet and drive the extra hour west. Going to look at some flow charts. Think the headwaters are closer to the mouth will be more productive? Spring creek on the other side of the letort looks good as well judging from cooler maps

It’s a good thing it’s Wild Card Weekend.

I’m boycotting the Peacock game though. Jags.

Getting over Covid, and my taste is still half screwed up, so all my good food plans are out the window.

All of the above beats drowning trying to FF tomorrow though. Seriously, unless you’re going to some tiny Brookie stream that has a watershed size of like 1.5 sq miles or less, you’re not fishing (in moving water) tomorrow in PA. And I get a lot of funny looks for the conditions I’ll fish in…if the fishing’s good of course.

Edit: The issue is the additional rain tonight into already saturated ground and swollen watersheds. Had there not been a good bit more rain tonight, you probably would have had to look a little, but probably could have found fishable water this weekend.
Rest up, feel better! Some of the replies on here have me questioning my decision to go tomorrow. Someone mentioned the letort fishing well, perhaps I’ll try that

Rest up, feel better! Some of the replies on here have me questioning my decision to go tomorrow. Someone mentioned the letort fishing well, perhaps I’ll try that
Dear Drecar,

If you come to the Cumberland Valley, you might want to wear a hard-hat while fishing tomorrow. Lots of saturated ground and trees weakened by the drought will lead to things falling from the sky when you least expect them. Winds steady from 15 to 25mph with gusts to 45 mph will make that a real possibility.

Whatever you do, be careful!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

If you go to the Cumberland Valley, do yourself a favor, drive even further and go to Big Springs...

The Letort meadows will be a quagmire with all the rain and if you aren't used to that creek and those type of conditions, you will be miserable and catch squat.

Big Springs is a a lot easier in any conditions...

Back