Where to fly fish in PA

C

Claude

HI all

Towards the end of June and early July I will spend a week RVing in the Penn State area while my wife and grandaughter attend Camp Woodward. Its a great opportunity to discover some of your streams.

Having never fished in PA where should one start? I enjoy wading, but also like to use a float tube to fish smaller lakes and pounds. It seems like there are just too many places to chose from...and they all sound good!

I live in Québec some 45 miles north of Ottawa and mostly fly fish for speckles, rainbows, browns as well as small mouth bass. As we have lots of SMBs up here, would prefer fishing for trout.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Claude

Lol, just type in Google (Fly Fishing State College, PA). You will be inundated with a mass amount of information. I and others consider it the best area in the state if not the east coast for trout fishing.

Hi Claude,
Welcome to our online community.
As mentioned you'll be visiting in a very good area for fly fishing for trout. State College is in the center of the state and is "Centre" County. If you check the link in the upper right side of this page, "Where to fly fish" you can check that area for its many streams. June/July is warm and some of the famous streams in that area, like Penns Creek, may be a bit on the warm side for C&R fishing but Spring Creek should be fine. Spring Creek will probably be the stream where you will want to put your main effort. There are also two fly shops in that town that can get you up to date fishing info and gear when you get there. To fish in Pennsylvania (PA) you will need a non -resident fishing license with a trout stamp.

Keep in touch and post some pics - let us know how you made out.

If your granddaughter is going to Woodward you are real close to Penns Creek. That would be a good place to start. Contact Jonas owner of The Feathered Hook, a fly shop in Coburn he will be very helpful.

Hi all,

Thank you for the quick responses to where to fish around Penn State. Will now do more surfing to find out where best to park the RV for the week. Looks like Penns and Spring Creeks are just two spots to visit.

It should be an interesting week.....stay tuned!

Claude

There is a KOA just outside of State College that is RV friendly. Its only a few minutes from Spring Creek. I camped there once, it has some pretty nice facilities.

Back