Where to fish?

P

pwk5017

I miscalculated my vacation days for the year and i have an extra to burn tomorrow. As my gear thread indicated, i havent been out much tis year, and im feeling the itch. I had a business trip to Erie a few weeks ago that i left early for and snuck in a couple hours of early morning fishing. Unfortunately, the closest i came to a hookup was spooking one in the shallows. That afternoon the weather turned and thats when they had very cold spell and lots of snow. Is it worth going up to Erie tomorrow, or would i be better off going to the yough/meadow/laurel hill? I believe the tribs were locked up the last couple weeks, and im clueless on if they are worth fishing with his week's mild weather. Looking at the stream gauges, they are atleast displaying flows, which means they arent iced up. Any tips woul be greatly appreciated. I fished the rick road access point upstream and downstream about 1/2-3/4 of a mile each.

I live up there, but seldom fish for steelhead any more... As of yesterday, the creek at I-79 and on PA 99 in McKean was up a bit but very fishable in terms of clarity, etc. And looking at the stream cams at Uncle John's on Elk a little ways above the mouth, I see several guys fishing this morning.

I'd go ahead and come up. Only caution is that they are calling for some mixed precip tonight. So, lower use portions of I-79 especially on the higher ground between Meadville and Edinboro might be a little skaty first thing in the morning. But tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 40's with a little rain. Probably a good day to fish..

Forgot about the webcams! They actually look decent right now, they used to be so pixelated an grainy it was hard to see much. You are right, a few guys are fishing, and i actually saw one guy release one. I wouldnt have ever considered fishing down that low this time of year. Then again, i think i shot a little high at the rick road access last i was there.

Flow looks decent, and i will follow your advice in giving it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

In case anyone is sneaking in an elk creek visit before the freeze comes next week, folly's had pretty good numbers above and below. I had a run to myself for an hour and a half and landed 20. Stung quite a few too. The fish were semi bright too, I was surprised to see fresh fish that high up.

Back