Where to buy flies

G

greenhead55

I do buy flies at local shops while fishing different areas but when buying larger quantities I like to go online. I found a website with really good deals http://www.flydealflies.com/ Has anyone ever used them and do you recommend ? Do you have a site that you prefer ? I bought flies from a local shop and had steelies snap number 12 stoneflies. Shows how cheap their flies were. Thanks for the help !

Guide selection should be taken with a grain salt-at least the one I am familiar[Montana] with.
I checked two tell tale streamers-LT. and Dark Spruce-The ones pictured are perfectly proportioned and beautiful flies but don't mention if they are weighted-
I would place a trial order-Too good a deal,maybe.I suspect bait and switch but then I am a cynic.Good luck.:}

I prefer and only will continuously order from http://TheFlyStop.com Best prices, never had any real issue with quality. When a few of my flies started to unravel at the head, i contacted the owner about it and he didnt hesitate to get me another batch. Not to mention he's located in Pa and i get my order within 1-3 days.

Agree with mute. I had good results with the fly stop the few times I had to stock the boxes and didn't have time to tie.

Ditto on TheFlyStop.com When I was buying flies that's were I got them. Great prices and great person to deal with.

I've been looking into theflystop lately as well. Never ordered from them yet though. I used to buy from bigyflyco and always had great service and quality flies. Their prices have gone up a little but still relatively cheap. They also offer free shipping if you spend $30... which adds up quick!

Theflystop is the best, IMO. Most basic flies are $.60, and are of very good quality. I've never had any problems, and the orders arrive very quickly. Much better quality than bigyflyco, IMO. Theflystop also has a nice selection of meaty streamers as well.

another vote for the flystop, they were fantastic to deal with as well

well with all these good reviews, looks like I'll definitely be ordering from flystop this year...

Same here ! Thanks guys !

Have used the flystop a number of times. Great service. Solid flies.

Cheers,
Mike.

KBE Fly Fishing Co. out of Boulder Co.
www.flyfishingflies.com
I've been buying flies from Kelly for many years. He's a good guy.

There are others.

www.blueflycafe.com

I bye flies sometimes also. There is no shame in it. Heck, imagine breaking out the hooks and feathers to tie while having a 15month old running around. She grabs everything and needs constant attention.

Dont forget Ebay. There are some good sellers there that are easy to deal with, others not as good.

My advice about buying flies is mostly this:

Donot just pick a place because they have the best deals or service.
You are purchasing flies for streams. Certain flies work better on certain streams. This pattern or that pattern is what you should be buying for and not all shops carry the same patterns.

By for the fly not the deal, if you need to spend 10 more cents to get the fly you really want .....do it.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is where I learned of The Fly Stop, which I have purchased dozens of flies from. I remember they were based in PA (Sharon, PA?), but a website came up under that name that I was not familiar with, based in NY.

Anyone have any insight? Were they sold?

Letort wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is where I learned of The Fly Stop, which I have purchased dozens of flies from. I remember they were based in PA (Sharon, PA?), but a website came up under that name that I was not familiar with, based in NY.

Anyone have any insight? Were they sold?

The owner moved to San Diego in the past month or so and that is what currently shows under the contact information. He was formerly in Pulaski, PA (Lawrence Cty.)

Kev

Check out Mike Heck's website: http://www.fallingsprings.com/fallingsprings_004.htm.

He's a local guy that has fair prices and nice flies. Support local guides!

TUNA wrote:
Check out Mike Heck's website: http://www.fallingsprings.com/fallingsprings_004.htm.

He's a local guy that has fair prices and nice flies. Support local guides!

I'll second this suggestion!

Mike ties some of the best flies available - anywhere. Worth every penny, IMO.

Back