Where or where should I go?

B

boychick

I'm thinking about a trip 4-5 days in late July or early August. I'm starting to brainstorm and looking for suggestions for good dry fly trout fishing this time of year? I'm not limited to PA or the Eastern fisheries. Thanks in advance for the input.

-B

yo bo

Colorado. Western Green Drakes on Frying Pan.

You might have picked the worst time of the year for trout fishing in the northern hemisphere. Stream flows are typically at their lowest and waters temps as their highest.

However, if there is mild weather and good rains Spring Creek for Tricos is a good option.

Head out West if you can - lots of dry fly opportunities. Tie up a bunch of hoppers and go to it.

If you'd care to stick to good ole PA, you could hang out in the Cumberland Valley and hit Big Spring, Falling Sp, and Letort (and there are some other options if the nights remain cool: local brookie streams, tricos and white flies on Breeches, etc.).
The CV fishing often disapoints dry fly purists but if you're persistent and handy at the terrestrial game, you should have some fun. However, you can be confident of cold water and good flows in the streams I mentioned.

Just an FYI.........

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/restrictions/waterClosure.html

If you want to keep it cheap and fairly local, spend 4 days in the cabins or tent sites on the tail water stretch of the North Branch at Barnum, WV. You will have plenty of rising trout in the evenings and during the day with terrestrials. Stoneflies and worms will get you plenty of trout during the day. You will have over 11 miles of water to explore in a beautiful setting. The Savage is a quick trip over the hill. Lots of good cold water and plenty of wild trout in that area.

You can give the D River west branch a try if you can't manage to get out-west. I would bet you could headhunt with hatches of small olives, sulphers and Isos on the WB.

I had my best trip of the year on the Upper D late last July. But, the release/flow was high due to the problem at the dam.

The Adirondacks, northern VT or NH would offer good small stream dry fly fishing. The driftless area of Wisconsin/minns/iowa is another option.
But like mentioned above, western MD, Northern WV tailwaters would be a good bet that's a shorter drive.

OR

hop a plane to Bozeman MT, be on a world class stream 30 min from airport.

What kind of fishing do you like? Dries, nymphing ??

Do you like being far off in the wilderness??

Will you be going by yourself? Whats your budget??

Based on your answers I could offer a dozen spectacular suggestions.

Bighorn, Missouri also a good choice

My favorite trip-

Bridger Teton Wilderness
Fish for 4 native cutthroats within a 2-3 hour radius. Yellowstone , Bonneville, Colorado River, Snake River Finespotted Cutt.
Pinedale-Jackson WY area best trip I ever had, easy day trips each into the wilderness where your going to be fishing alone.

And what good is life if you only see nature from the tip of your flyrod? Get out there and explore new ground. (Pull out a map, flip a coin and go where it lands.)

Thanks guys, these are all great suggestions. I appreciate the feedback.

To answer a-kids questons, I'm looking for good dry fly fishing. I'll likely be going alone. Any of the options already suggested will fit my budget. I'd like to be in an area where there are people (campground/cabins/etc.), if I'm alone. That said, I like wilderness fishing and would like to find some water to myself while out fishing. I'm not looking for a solitary 4-5 day backpacking trip where I don't see a sole until I head back into town, but I'd like to have some solitude when out on the stream. Yellowstone is out, I'm going there next year and would prefer to do something else this year.

I've been considering flying into Denver, but don't know a whole lot about the options in the area and I've heard there are fire concerns to the Northwest. Any additional insight on options within a few hours drive of the Denver airport would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys.

South Platte near Deckers. 2 hour drive from airport. You can fish the famous Cheesman Canyon. Also, Eleven Mile Canyon on the south platte not to far away either. There are cabins and fly shopin Deckers but its a hamlet not town. Call Danny at Flies and Lies in Deckers and he can give you the straight dope.

Or you could try north of Denver- I had a super day on the cache la poudre , nobody around easy access from road. Short hop to RMNP and or Indian Peaks wilderness. Tons o streams with many different species. I fished Big Thompson and I found the fishing easy for Greenback cutts,

Good luck- there are tons of places

You already know about Utah smallwater (and there's still a bunch out there I could point you towards). Wyoming also has some incredible, secluded opportunities in the mountains. You may need some help finding them, but if you need it, just let me know.

I did a 4-day trip to eastern Utah last year to burn up the last of my annual license out there and had one helluva trip. Different area from where we discussed before, but incredible. Saw moose and plenty of deer in the mornings out there.

Durango, CO. The mountains there had a great snow season and streams should be in excellent shape. Flying there can be a bit pricey (should be able to connect from Denver), and in summer it is somewhat of a tourist town. I went last fall for a few days and LOVED the town and the people. I did a bunch of day trips for cutthroats in the surrounding mountains but the Animas river in town is supposed to be incredible for browns and bows.

Just another option in addition to the other good ideas given above.

Well, if all of the US is in play, except Yellowstone, given your timing I'd still be thinking the mountain west. Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/Colorado. Just a HUGE area. Your one trip to Yellowstone is only touching a small portion of it. And in the west, late July/early August is getting close to prime time, as August and September are considered the peak of their season. In April-early July when we are peaking in the east, they have too much runoff in the west, and things don't start settling down till later in July or into August.

The Bozeman area of Montana and Henry's Fork region of Idaho are in "greater" Yellowstone, so if you intend to hit up those areas on your later trip, well, then disregard them. If your later trip will be more within Yellowstone itself, then they are options.

But farther off:

Missoula area - The Bob Marshall Wilderness, or Bitterroot area. I have no experience in this area, but have heard lots and lots of good things.

Central Idaho - upper Snake River area. The center of the Frank Church Wilderness is massive and inaccessible without guides and rafts. However, the route 75 and 21 area between Lowman, through Stanley and Sunbeam, and into Challis is accessible. Low population, but has the basics. Some lodging and/or campgrounds throughout. There's a great diversity of water, from moderately large forks of the Salmon to small mountain streams. From flatland meadow, limestoners, to fast mountain water, just crisscrossing the whole area, not to mention the high lakes. There are dirt roads reaching into the wilderness areas. I spent a little time in this area when I was just a novice and loved it, and wish I could get back there. I think I could spend a few years in there and still not be satisfied that I'd covered it all.

Colorado - covered by others.

South Platter is awesome - just returned from trip there, fished Cheeseman Canyon and at Deckers, fish are huge, feed all day and plentiful.
It is an hour and 15 minutes from Denver.
I recommend staying in Woodland Park, CO. Woodland Park is approximately 10 miles from Colorado Springs and 23 miles from Deckers, an easy drive to the fishing spots and has adequate amenities - motels, restaurants, fly shops.
Small nymphs work best, but the fish will take a grasshopper.

Check out http://www.flies-n-lies.com/

Stream locations

Fredrick wrote:
Stream locations

It can stay here.
I usually put PA (or nearby locations such as MD, Jersey, NY etc.) in Fly Fishing Locations. Threads that deal more with further away places such as the West usually stay in the General Forum.

Thanks for the input guys. After the CO suggestions I got to digging around and decided to go fish the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork in CO. Any insight on the area, especially looking for some small streams in the area for one of the days I'm there. Please PM me with info. Thanks again guys!

Here's the Roaring Fork about 10 miles up from Aspen- this was last year near Labor Day. Conditions were perfect- was all eager brookies. Dries only.

]Roaring Fork[/url]

I looked foreard to fishing the Frying Pan but after fishing for 4 months out west last summer it was too pushy of a wade for me. Read all the Geriach about it too. Sad face.

]Frying Pan[/url]

Back