When do you expect to see BWOs in good numbers?

luke_m

luke_m

Based on recent memory in SE PA and photos from the past few years, I expect that it will really pick up by the end of March. Am I missing the beginning of the hatch?

I saw whole bunch of them Saturday in central PA.

Past records show sizable hatches as early as valentines day in SE PA on warmer days, but they dont become reliable every day deals till around the end of feb/1st of march.

I have been fishing the hatch for the last three weeks in SE PA. Some streams have been stronger than others, but still get fish rising.

Seems as if a lot of you are fishing. Am I missing something? I thought all stocked streams except for catch and release sections were closed until the opening on April 1st?

I thought all stocked streams except for catch and release sections were closed until the opening on April 1st?
Stocked streams are a very small % of the trout fishing in this state. I see nothing in the above indicating fishing stocked sections.

Damn, I wasn't implying that anyone was doing anything illegal, it was a simple question. Lighten up!!!!!

I started seeing BWO's on them on central PA limestoners 3 weeks ago.
Did I hear someone say grannoms?
Wouldn't be surprised to see them popping in March this year.

Just curious - have you tried the D in March?
I would think in mild winters like this, there would be BWO's hatching there early

Saw BWO's hatching sparsely on the Little Lehigh Monday 2/27. Only a rise or two, but plenty of flashing fish underwater and they were taking BWO nymphs and emergers. It was a sunny afternoon before the storm; if it was overcast I bet there would be decent dry fly action.

I started seeing BWO's on them on central PA limestoners 3 weeks ago.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them popping in March this year.

Just curious - have you tried the D in March?
I would think in mild winters like this, there would be BWO's hatching there early
Have not due to the typically inhospitable weather conditions up.

good hatch and surface action yesterday in my neck of the woods.

Saw quite a few in south central part of the state yesterday and today. No risers though.

Another reason why I'm not in favor of a PA opening day. Some years, some of the best hatches occur before opening day on ATW.

BWO subsurface patterns are already working on warm days.

Another reason why I'm not in favor of a PA opening day. Some years, some of the best hatches occur before opening day on ATW.

Wild trout are the only ones that really key in on BWOs. Just hit the year round open waters and leave the stockies for the bait chuckers.

Wild trout are the only ones that really key in on BWOs. Just hit the year round open waters and leave the stockies for the bait chuckers.
Disagree. I've seen stocked trout eat small (18ish) in early spring and medium (14ish) in early summer sized BWOs.

And there are many ATW that have great populations of wild trout. I'd love to be able to fish these in March thus my statement about opening day.

Back