When did you begin fly tying?

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
djs sparked this poll, Please vote on when you began fly tying. Experience/proficiency level not important. Just when you began.

Roughly 25 years ago, still loving every minute of it.

About 30 years ago now. And it's one of the best things I've even done. Catching fish on your own flies really takes this sport to a whole new level

1966. :-o

I guess you can put my start date in as being the Fly Tying Jam. Already upgrading vise and seems like I am as addicted to tying as I am to Fly-Fishing.

It was inevitable... :-D

I hadn't realized how many old farts we have here. WOW Ed, 1966? I was 4 years old.

Sorry but I couldn't edit the poll answers to move your votes but there were only two. Curious to see if there are any over 50 year veterans.

Maurice wrote:
I hadn't realized how many old farts we have here. WOW Ed, 1966? I was 4 years old.

Hey, I was "only" 6 years old.

The start for me was tying red dyed bucktail to spinner and lure treble hooks. My Dad and his fishing buddies used to make their own spinners and jigs, and I got "drafted" to tie hair and feathers to the treble hooks and jigs.

Child slave labor. :lol:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Maurice wrote:

Hey, I was "only" 6 years old.

The start for me was tying red dyed bucktail to spinner and lure treble hooks. My Dad and his fishing buddies used to make their own spinners and jigs, and I got "drafted" to tie hair and feathers to the treble hooks and jigs.

Child slave labor. :lol:

Ahem, Back and fill you old fart........

Little over 2 years by the old fart of 1966

42 years for me. When I was 12 my dad took up fly fishing and tying. That's when I started as well. Some of the best memories of my life.

Gencon

!!! 1967 !!!!!

I started at 8 yrs old so for 24 yrs now and I go in spurts where I tie a bunch and then go use em Jan. To Feb this yr I tied a little over 100 dozen and I have been enjoying useing them

lv2nymph wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:
1966. :-o
I was three at this point.

That's the year I was born. Ed, I bet your sorry you went so specific with your response :)
I started tying sometime in 1996, so it would be about 17 years (or HA-30)
Mike.

Started in 1961 in Scotland learning to tie wet flies. Taught by a grumpy old miner with fingers like sausages but he could tie.

clydeman wrote:
Started in 1961 in Scotland learning to tie wet flies. Taught by a grumpy old miner with fingers like sausages but he could tie.

Clydeman,

Place your vote for over 50 yrs. You are the only one so far.

Same as Sandfly......"67 was a good year....

Back