Whats your favorite setup for the Salmon River NY.

jwatts

jwatts

I just bought a ne Danvice and im in love with it. Im starting to really put them out now. Ive been tying some Estez eggs w/ beadheads and some Crystal spawns. Whats everyone else's deadly thing to tie for the steelhead?

Michigan Crickets and IPW's, I trail the worm off the cricket. Deadly! ;-)

zonkers in all colors. We had a TON of hookups last year on black zonkers with an orange bead head.

Keep it simple for flies up there. You'll lose a ton so don't spend more than a few minutes on each tie. My zonkers are a bead or cone, 1 zonker strip tied in at the bend, chenille body and tie in the zonker at the head. That's it just different colors.

I've tied up about 300 flies in the past 2 weeks. I need about 600 more in the next 2 months. It's getting to be work but hopefully it'll all be worth it with a bunch of beached fish.

IPWs
Zonkers
Big black conehead buggers
Estaz bead head eggs
clown eggs
Heavily weighted black stones
size 12 princes and copper johns

SBecker wrote:
Michigan Crickets and IPW's, I trail the worm off the cricket. Deadly! ;-)

Not sure what a michigan cricket is but only 1 fly allowed on SR. Not sure of your setup but just be aware if you are using two flies. Hate to see you get nailed for that.

If you are using a Michigan cricket, I think you will have more problems, then using two flies.

I tend to favor glo bugs over estaz...tend to blow through the cheese color the most

makes you wonder about some folks up there, id swear the best rig would be a 5 oz lead weight molded to a 5/0 treble hook tied on to 30 pound test maxima,and yes maybe three 2 oz each split shots..HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Lonewolve wrote:
makes you wonder about some folks up there, id swear the best rig would be a 5 oz lead weight molded to a 5/0 treble hook tied on to 30 pound test maxima,and yes maybe three 2 oz each split shots..HAHAHAHAHHAHA

That my friend is a Michigan Cricket...

Becker is just being Becker lol.

Ry, sorry i was just being silly, but it does look like folks still use the technique sans the treblehook w/lead molded on the end,every once in a while i will get hung up an wind up pulling one of those things out of a snarl,also find beead chain to a treble also..kinda sad that at one time when snagging was allowed..folks actually thought that was fishing,let alone that snagging was a legiit way to fish.

You're being silly, but I still saw practices like that last year in the black hole. Because, I mean, those salmon don't grab anything in their mouth once they enter the streams..........................

Ry,
lmao thats aeven sillier, whoever came up with that statement doesnt know how to swing flies an also doesnt drift flies....hence they are more than a likely candidate for being called a snagger/lifter/jigger/ect.
Plenty of PotaAnandromous fish will tug,pull, hit, or swipe at properly drifted/swung flies.

I did well with meth heads and halo eggs.

What size is everyone using for there egg patterns? 6-8's?

I use sz 10 scud hooks. Larger gap and typically a thicker hook. I think too many egg patterns have too much excess hook apart from the fly.

Zonkers and Ripple Crush eggs always worked for me up there

just plain old red estaz eggs and a really sparse bunny leech with an orange bead or glo bug on the front of the hook worked well last year use really heavy hooks (from expierence) not opalescent red either the plain red orange was good too have your fly about 2.5 to 3 feet from your swivel and weight on the tag end of the swivel knot unless you using an indy ohh forgot about the black esl with a chartreuse egg

Mostly eggs for me. Estaz eggs in chartreuse, blue, apricot, orange, and red and sucker spawn in oregon cheese, apricot and pink. Generally in size 10, but have a few size 8s when the fall fish are aggressive. Also a few dead eggs (cream colored) in 10 and 12 when the fish get snooty late in the season. I start with the legal limit 48" dropper to a swivel where I attach the weight. I replace the dropper when it gets about 3 ft. You go through tippet up there because snags and fish are hard on them. Check your tippets often and cut off rough sections. A good steelie will find those weak spots pretty quickly and pop you off.

Most eggs work, I can tie Estaz eggs and sucker spawn quicker which is why I like them.

Black or olive Zonkers/Buggers/wool head sculpins all seem to do the same work. Like them with or without an orange bead. These flies in white will do OK too.

Finally, when I am in the mood for more elegant flies I tie on traditional Atlantic salmon or steelhead wets.

Not a big nymph fisherman, but prince nymphs and green rock worms have worked for me.

Sink tips are a more elegant way to fish streamers and wets than splitshot IMHO. Only need a short tippet of about 3' when using a sink tip.

Back