What's it worth? Orvis bamboo

E

eggman

I have a rod I'm thinking about selling. It's a Orvis "99" Impregnated Bamboo, 8'6" in a 7 wt. It's a two peice in excellent condition...I would even call it mint. Original tube and bag, also mint condition. Looks like it was built in the 60's or 70's. I bought it with the plan for using it for Steelies off a guy who used to be the curator for the Orvis museum in Manchester, VT. I never tested it on the Steelies and have only used it about 3 or 4 times and caught a few bass on it, but I don't use it enough to justify keeping it around. Not sure I like how it casts either. Anybody know what something like that is worth?

Thanks in advance
eggman

I have a list I printed up back in 2000.
It has your rod listed at 275.

You probably don't like how it casts because your used to the forgiving graphite. Unless you own other bamboo rods that you like much better, its a different feel. If it just casts poorly, even for bamboo, it would explain why its value was less than I expected to see, relatively.

I think you are right about the graphite, which is all I've ever used for trout. I am definitely used to it vs. the bamboo, which has a totally different feel. I'm not convinced that I "don't like" the feel of it, it's just different.

Thanks for the info on the rod. Maybe I'll hold onto it for a while and hope the value goes up.

Eggman,

What is Serial Number on the Rod? Most of the bamboo guy’s that I know that have the 99 are casting with a 5 or 6 or the 5/6. Try different lines with that rod it may help it perform better for you and your style of casting. Remember it is bamboo and not all are created equal it may cast better with a 5/6/7 or even 8 wt. Excellent shape, bag and original tube $425.00 (it would probable sale on Clark’s in a day).

Joe E

Joe E,
I'll check the serial # and post it. Thanks for the info.

I'd keep it. I've found fishing cane is much more enjoyable than graphite rods and using it in more and more situations. Its a smooth relaxing casting stroke. The beauty of fly fishing is there are some many different aspects and equipment you can use to make yourself feel unique or pose a new challenge. I fish a lot of fast action rods (GLX, Trilogy, T3, Ultra Legend) but lately my go to rods are my 6'2" 2 wt bamboo for trout and 7' 6 wt for smallies, which would certainly turn some noses in certain cirlces.... Think about the advice on trying different lines to get a feel that works for you.

Back