What's going on with Fishing Creek? (above Bloomsburg)

KeviR

KeviR

Driving west on route 80 Saturday I looked over at Fishing Creek when it first came into view just past the Lightstreet exit. It looks like they are building some kind of gravel bar along the far bank. There was a bulldozer up on the bank but it obviously had been moving/grading the river substrate along that stretch. I would have taken a picture but was sort of past it before I thought of doing so.
Does anybody know what's going on there?

They have been working on that all year. I think they are trying to keep the water from flowing too close to the highway. Last year they drove metal plates in the ground at the top of the bank that goes down from the highway to the edge of the river. I wonder if the bank was starting to erode away because of high water events.

They have been working on that all year. I think they are trying to keep the water from flowing too close to the highway. Last year they drove metal plates in the ground at the top of the bank that goes down from the highway to the edge of the river. I wonder if the bank was starting to erode away because of high water events.
Are these metal plates what they call "sheet piling?"

Back