What was your best new find for 2022 & plans for 2023?

I got out today and got skunked. So my new plan for 2023 is to not get skunked the next time out.

In all seriousness, each time I do get skunked I get really down on myself and wonder whether it’s worth devoting time to fishing.
No idea what the conditions were but simply changing weights and angles you stand at an annoying frequency till you feel you presentation is on bottom, moving slower than surface current but not hanging up, and setting pretty frequently and always at end of your drift could be a game changer

No idea what the conditions were but simply changing weights and angles you stand at an annoying frequency till you feel you presentation is on bottom, moving slower than surface current but not hanging up, and setting pretty frequently and always at end of your drift could be a game changer
You are no doubt correct. I didn’t change things up enough. But it’s easy to get down on myself when I don’t catch anything.

You are no doubt correct. I didn’t change things up enough. But it’s easy to get down on myself when I don’t catch anything.
Happens to everyone. Switching up split shots while nymphing alot and looking to bounce bottom and lag behind the stuff in the bubble line or on the surface in winter especially often works. Other thing that ya gotta remember is weather warmed up but water was prob still really cold when ya fished and that makes fish very reluctant to move much at all laterally to take. So don’t be too hard on yourself. Working good spots with a finer grid and lots of weight changes often helps if its the kind of apot where your not spooking them as winter holding spots often are.

Fished 7 or 8 new streams, of which 3 or 4 are "return" quality. Got my gf some waders and began teaching her casting.

For 2023 I want to get her into some fish if possible. And I'd like to master fly casting from the yak, so that it can accompany me on summer smallie trips instead of a spinning rod. Got a few mods to do to it first, as the rod holder is not ideal for fly rods.

Meh. There are lakes I like much better for crappie than Sayers. Sayers certainly has a lot of fish, though. Other lakes consistently provide more size.
I just can't justify wasting time catching panfish on the fly at Sayers. Yeah you can do it but with the amount of other types of fishing near by that are so much better for fly fishing...Only time I keep fish is from Sayers ice fishing. Hopefully we get some cold weather here at the end of the month or in February.

I didn't accomplish much in 22 other than coaching a really good 1st and 2nd grade football team, lol. My plan for 23 is to get more time on the water, find some more wild trout, and really work on dry dropper rigs on the smaller water. I like bamboo and wild trout so i want to focus on the small to medium wild streams and of course the hatches on the bigger water.

Curious, what part of Antietam? I work in northern MD a few times a year and when I drive from Hagerstown to High Rock for work, I pass Antietam and it looks fishy. I generally pass it along the Leitersburg area.
funkstown and downstream to beaver creek. Upper into Pennsylvania. Mainly any place that is open to the public, which is more Hagerstown and downstream.

Also, I’m not burning any spots here. I’ll say it loud and proud: a good supply of trout and some of the biggest in Maryland, but they are hard to catch, even if you are an old school night crawler and fly rod guy.

If you can consistently catch trout in Antietam, you know how to fish for trout. But you will never catch ‘em all.

Best new find: Finally made it up to Maine for a fishing trip and caught some great brook trout.

Runners up would be new personal bests on my go to stream, and successful fishing trips to the Catskills.

Goals: Fish new water, in 2022 I fished water I knew more often than not. More of central PA, NY and New England.

Back