What was your best new find for 2022 & plans for 2023?

Letort

Letort

I spent much more time swinging wet flies this year and it paid off.

For next year, I want to try euro-nymphing rigs, which I have not previously tried.

What was your success and goals?

Rediscovered Antietam creek in 2022. Exploring more on the Potomac in 2023.

Finding a place to fish close to home .
My 2023 goal is to fish more of North Dakota.

Attachments

• 2C14CA2D-606E-4A47-B70C-20C83871B68A.jpeg
    2C14CA2D-606E-4A47-B70C-20C83871B68A.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 25
For 2022, I think my tying skill continues to improve. Steelhead fishing is on the plan for 2023

Steve

My goal for 2023 is simple, fish more often. I need Mother Nature's help though, as some of my streams were so low in 2022 that I didn't even bother fishing them.

If the Sierra national forest opens near Clicks Creek trailhead I will attempt to catch a Little Kern River Rainbow in May. Closed last 2 years due to a fire and then the clean up.

If that’s open I will also attempt an Eagle Lake Rainbow about 6-7 hour ride north to Eagle lake to fish for its namesake native trout. I failed to catch one last year but in July the waters had warmed and the fish moved deeper making it difficult to catch. I had hoped to fish the lake in May when the fish and hatches are more active and within casting distance.

If life permits I will attempt my final native in late August for a Pink Salmon , most likely in BC.

For 2023 I would like to put in more time chasing carp with the flyrod and try to locate some new carpin’ spots. If I can manage to catch 26 carp this upcoming year it would be my 200th carp on the fly in my carpin’ career. It is an achievable goal for me in a season but I definitely need to put the time in to pull it off.

For 2023 I would like to put in more time chasing carp with the flyrod and try to locate some new carpin’ spots. If I can manage to catch 26 carp this upcoming year it would be my 200th carp on the fly in my carpin’ career. It is an achievable goal for me in a season but I definitely need to put the time in to pull it off.
That is impressive. Those guys are typically pretty spooky and tough to get a cast at.

My best find in 2022 was a better, more accurate cast.

For 2023 my plans are to fish at least 5 new waters.

My best find in 2022 was a better, more accurate cast.

For 2023 my plans are to fish at least 5 new waters.
Same here with the casting. I really put the time in practicing and it has paid off. Still a lot to learn and a long way to go.

Plans for 2023 are to fish the Delaware for the first time. Preferably in a boat. I have never trout fished froma boat before.

Best new find in 2022 was discovering I could catch fish on my own at the Frying Pan and Taylor rivers in CO - first time fishing both.

For 2023, getting better with my fly rod, catching some fish on my own flies, and discovering a few new waters in PA, MD, and CO.

My best find in 2022 was the degraded warm water streams around my house that allowed me to fish more often than if I only went when I had time to run to a trout stream. And the farm pond I got when we moved into our house thats full of blue gill that eat popping bugs right after I do bedtime with the kids.

2023 id like to catch a channel cat on a fly rod

My hopes for 2023 fishing are to explore some new water in PA and MD. Also my in-laws are taking us to Costa Rica in July, so I’m hoping to try some saltwater fly fishing for the first time ever.

Plan to build a 10 ft 2 wt czech nymph rod in Jan 23 and hopefully catch my first brown trout on it soon afterward

Best find for 2022....
Redington vice 7wt that I got for bass fishing as a loaner. I used it once day to test it and really like it. Pretty impressive rod for $200. Think I might keep it and give up one of my streamer sticks.

Built Frankenstein raft / trailer in spite of pandemic shortages. It's a mix of manufactured and self made bits. It took over a year to finish the trailer and frame because you couldn't get parts. Proven useful and pretty comfortable in low water.

2023 plans....
Still keeping big flathead on a fly near top of the list. I'd like to nearly double my fishing to 22 days this year but if I get the puppy, kiss that dream goodbye

Built Frankenstein raft / trailer in spite of pandemic shortages. It's a mix of manufactured and self made bits. It took over a year to finish the trailer and frame because you couldn't get parts. Proven useful and pretty comfortable in low water.
Let's see some pics

Double jetski trailer coated in bonding primer and top coat, axle wire brushed, sprayed with rust reformer and then truck bed liner. New springs axle mounting hardware and every bolt cut off and replaced with stainless.

No name raft, racecar shop provided the tubing for a fair price, paid 2-4x regular cost for fittings. Only way you could have anchor system pay exorbitant price and have shipped from Montana. Seats were hard to come by. Beat feature is the oars which have streamlight blades .... but the oars are short because it was the only ones available for 6+ months. I'll have to grab a set of extensions for the spring

IMG 20221226 153459

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_153509.jpg
    IMG_20221226_153509.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20221226_153513.jpg
    IMG_20221226_153513.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20221226_153557.jpg
    IMG_20221226_153557.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20221226_153605.jpg
    IMG_20221226_153605.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20221226_153615.jpg
    IMG_20221226_153615.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 44
Nice. I live near a warm water river that something like that would be perfect for. Only ever go down it in a canoe, and I hate fishing out of a canoe.

Double jetski trailer coated in bonding primer and top coat, axle wire brushed, sprayed with rust reformer and then truck bed liner. New springs axle mounting hardware and every bolt cut off and replaced with stainless.

No name raft, racecar shop provided the tubing for a fair price, paid 2-4x regular cost for fittings. Only way you could have anchor system pay exorbitant price and have shipped from Montana. Seats were hard to come by. Beat feature is the oars which have streamlight blades .... but the oars are short because it was the only ones available for 6+ months. I'll have to grab a set of extensions for the spring

View attachment 1641228174
Very nice job. Can you stand in it?

Back