What vise do you use?

>>but you might be favorably impressed by the precision you can get using the rotary feature, especially on flies with spiral wraps.>>

Well, truth be told, I never read any of the instructions until a week ago Tuesday when I wanted to tie some smallmouth flies and had to see how to adjust it to hold bigger hooks. And this despite having the vise since Christmas of 05.

And in any event, if you ask Troutbert, he'll tell you that all I tie is #10 deerhair ants and size 14 humpies anyway...:)

So, the rotary thing never really came up before.

But I'm sure you're right and will have a go at it....:)

```Rleep,
I seldom use the rotary feature on my smalller flies, though it does do a nice job of hackling. But either way, the Mongoose is a nice vise.
Coughlin

Renzetti Traveler. Got such a great deal I bought two so I can keep one in my take-along tying kit. I used the old reliable Thompson model "A" for years and just switched last year. I also find that the more I tie, the more I use the rotary feature.

Thats funny the more I tie for the store the more i use non-rotary,,most commercial tyers who use more than 1 vise use a standard type...I watched a guy in maine using 6 for one fly...

I bought a Thompson 360 degree rotary vice when I strted tying 25 years ago, and it served me well for 15 years.
10 years ago, at the local fly show, I bought a regal knockoff for $50. It's imported, and the steel jaws aren't the best quality - I have to file the jaws every year or so. But it's so much nicer to use - just placing the fly in the jaws without fiddling around and adjusting the clamp. I don't think I could ever go back to any other kind of vice now, and I plan on splurging on a regal soon

I put 2700 dozen through my Regal during the last 28 months and she's still good as new. My Danvise seen probably 4000 dozen and held up until I bought my Regal. Before the Danvise, my Thompson needed jaw work every 5-6 months.

Back