What to do during a thunderstorm when fishing a stream.

JMP

JMP

As the warmer weather approaches, what should you do when a thunderstorm occurs? I know you should not carry your rod, lie prone on the ground or stand under a tree. I am interested in your experiences in this situation.

Find the bank. Sit down clear of rising water. Reach for flask. Bourbon and water. Try to keep them from mixing.

I say always better safe than sorry. Also, we live in a time where technology and weather forecasts are at the palm of your hand. It is very easy to anticipate any type of extreme weather and thunderstorms in PA. Do what you can to seek shelter and run to your truck in any type of thunderstorm.

While it’s easy to forecast when Tstorms are going to be likely on a given day, it’s difficult (impossible?) to forecast their exact location until they’ve formed and can be tracked on radar.

In PA there’s a lot of days in the Summer where “pop-up”, late afternoon Tstorms are forecast and occur due to high humidity levels and some level of instability in the atmosphere. Not everywhere gets hit with one, and it’s a very hit and miss type of thing. This is a common forecast in PA in the Summer, maybe as much as 50% of the days from June to August have some chance of Tstorms forecast. To exclude fishing or other outdoor activities and sit inside during those days is probably not necessary.

Having a good radar app on your phone is a good idea, and check it periodically, every hour or so, when you’re fishing on days when Tstorms are possible. I don’t always have cell service where I’m fishing, so having a good understanding of topography where you are is a good idea too. Storms in PA generally track from west to east, so if you see dark clouds or hear thunder from the west that’s a sign a storm is likely. Fishing in mountainous areas can obscure your view of approaching storms, so another warning sign is a sudden increase in wind and noticeable drop in the temperature - This is caused by the leading downdraft off the front of the storm.

Getting back to your vehicle is clearly the best option, but there are times where you’re too far away. Get out of the water. You don’t want to stand out in the open, but you also don’t want to be under the tallest trees around. Set your rod down, flat on the ground, away from you. I typically try to find a grove of young-ish pines to hunker down under. They can keep you dry for a little while depending on how big of a downpour.

A couple times I’ve been hiking along a ridge top pipeline clearing as a Tstorm approached. That’s the situation I’m most uncomfortable with while fishing in PA. One time I jogged about 3/4 of a mile to get down off of it before the storm got too close. Another time I had to duck into the woods and ride one out. Though I was still essentially at the top of the ridge. If you can get to lower elevation before the storm hits, do so.

Agree with above.

The closest call I had was in my kayak on the Susky at the Dauhin Narrows some years ago: big storm came upriver from the south and although I could see it, the speed that it formed and closed really caught me off guard. I made it to one of the old bridge pilings and rode it out but it served as a reminder to be careful, especially if you're in a small boat.

Anyway, I find that fishing is often good before an approaching storm and fast plunging barometer and I'm sometimes tempted to stay out casting. If you're in steep terrain and under tree cover, it's hard to keep an eye on the skies.

Just remember.....if you hear thunder, lightning can strike you. Don't feel safe because you "only" hear the thunder but see no lightning.

A friend of mine witnessed a golfer being struck by lightning in just those circumstances. He said a few rounds of thunder were heard but nothing that would give rise to immediate danger.

The guy who teed off and was a few hundred yards in front of him lost his life because of that.

I play each one by ear. I know there is a real threat and risk to your safety in T Storms, but generally I'll take shelter in the best natural shelter available and wait it out. Or, if I'm going fishing and I know that storms are inevitable and going to strike soon, I go to places where I can stay close to my vehicle..

I have been caught too many times in severe T-storms. If you fish in the summer it is going to happen to you sooner or later. I hate it and it is scary. Especially if you are floating. I typically either get out of the boat or out of the water and lay my rod down along the bank. Then I put on my rain gear and walk well away from the boat and rod and find a relatively comfortable place to hunker down in stream side bushes to wait out the storm. Sometimes it takes as much as an hour for a storm to pass. In Montana I have seen lightning strikes as close as 250' away on trees on a rock wall.

So I've been told if you must seek shelter, and have to carry your pole make sure the pole is parallel to the ground not higher than your head.

Good advice here. I'd second the weather app or radio to check what to expect. There are to many good days to fish on a marginal or stormy one.
I've gotten caught in the Gulf when a thunderstorm or worse a Water Spout shows up. Time to cut and run. lots of stories about those situations. GG

I try to find a place as low as possible and away from high objects. Standing in between creekbanks or under an overhang is my go-to.

I was caught out in a storm with hail two years ago on spring creek. I found the densest cover I could find and hid under it but that hail still pelted me. It hurt!!! I remember the pieces getting bigger and bigger, but then it abruptly stopped.

Most of the time I can tell a storm is coming and can make it back to the car where I crack open a beer and wait it out.

The worst one I ever rode out was on Slippery Rock Creek far from my car or any shelter. I remember that there was only a very slight chance for storms that day so I didn't even pack my rain jacket.

The storm came on so quickly that by the time I realized it was heading my way, it was already starting to rain. Luckily, I found a place under a growth of very thick shrubbery away from the creek, grabbed a bunch of very big--actually huge--leaves from this weed-like plant next to the shrubbery and threw those over top for even more protection. It teemed down for a good 15 minutes. Lightning was very bad. I remained relatively dry. Which was good because the temp dropped like 15 degrees. When I got back home later that night, I found out there was a tornado warning in that area.

I remember a night of sheer terror at Ricketts Glen. We were camping with the extended family. Some got in the car but I remember staying in the tent. It lasted forever and seemed to be right on top of us. There were numerous strikes in the campground. Numerous car alarms were set off, trees split in half, and water from one of the pumps was shooting water off. It was the only campground I ever remember being asked if we were drinking the night before.

I always take a quick look at the weather for the time I'm fishing.
Any, thunder storms predicted I keep my eyes looking up and my ears open, any shifts in wind(lighter or heaver) I call it and off the water I go.
I've coached athletes from the south whom have either been hit or know someone who has water and lightning are bad together.
Now if it is a snow storm I have been known to call it when there is 4" of snow on my head(sarcasm).

I was on Kettle one day with an off and on light rain all day with no thunder. Probably 6-7 insects hatching. No one was fishing and lots of fish rising. I was able to pick off many fish in each hole and then move along. As I got further from the truck I began to hear distant thunder but it would fade away and then start over again. Seemed like it was taking a parallel path to the creek a safe distance away.

I reached the final hole where I would fish the spinnerfall. Again some thunder but nothing major. I caught like 3 fish in first 10 minutes and then the sky let loose. I’m thinking your basic 20 min thunder storm so I went into the woods, put on my raincoat and ate my sandwich.

So an hour later I’m still standing there. The entire time I’m watching trout rising so hard they are sometimes throwing water 18 inches into the air. I’ve never seen such vigorous rises. Eventually it was starting to get dark and the thunder faded away so I made my way to the creek and caught 10 in like 15 minutes and could no longer see my fly. I’ve wondered how many I would have caught during the hour when the trout were going crazy.

I had read one time that trout will not feed during a lightning storm. It wasn’t true that day. I do believe it’s best to get off the creek. I agree that trout rarely feed during lightning.

Keep Fishing, you can see me, a you tube post, brief but there!

Kettle Creek Tornado Leidigh, by Barry Kegg.

met some nice fellows at Kettle Creek, Clair and Bill. Hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill over the years. We always seemed to meet again after the first, meet by coincidence. Brothers in arms. I was lucky to have met, cream of the crop, road workers, who lived to the tradition of "Helping Hand".

No one could ever imigine what would follow, in the coming years.

Well, this video, will show in short, life of a fisherman.

Buy the way, Park Rangers said it would be a month before we got out, Bill and Clair and the six of us, 2 days and heading home.

Winston Churchill, brothers if you ever find this! Love you guys. Wish you the very best, from your pal, hot dog Johnny!

I did it, "My Way".

Maxima12

Take a nap.

Back