What rod for smallmouth on Penns Creek?

discomidge

discomidge

Yesterday evening a very kind guy took me smallmouth fishing on Penns for the first time. It was a total blast. I didn't catch and creek monsters, but even those 12-14" fish can really pull. And the takes on top and jumps were a hoot. So now I guess that's something I'll have to get into. Gonna need another rod as I don't have anything stouter than a 5wt and I'm looking for some general recommendations.

He let me use two of his 9' 7wt rods that seemed perfect for the job - a T&T Zone and a Douglas DXF. I liked them both but preferred the DXF for the light flies I was throwing - a slider and a todd's wiggle minnow. The DXF and I just seemed to get along, though I did prefer the grip of the Zone. The DXF seemed slightly softer than the Zone so maybe the Zone would have been better at chucking more weight. He did offer to lend me a rod, which seemed too generous for me to take him up on on the spot, but I suppose I could borrow one and get to know it better, with heavier flies.

Anyway, here's my conundrum - I have also been eyeing a 6wt nymph/streamer oriented rod for trout in the fall and winter. I did a lot of winter fishing on Penns last year and expect to do the same this year. Would a 6wt be up to the job of landing a big smallmouth as well? I mean I know anything within reason can do the job, but I think it's nice to have the right rod for the job. Is a 7wt too much rod for trout fishing with nymphs and streamers?

What do you all like when it comes to fishing for small mouth on a medium sized stream in terms of length and weight? Specific models to look into would be appreciated too. I'm not averse to dropping some coin, but don't want to cross the 1k line for an Asquith of Air 2 or something like that. I do adore my 9' 4wt Sky-G and am tempted to try it in a heavier weight. Thanks!

A 690 is fine for smallmouth bass.

I do all my smallmouth fishing with a pair of low-end Echo rods. One is a 906 and the other a 907. I generally fish a WF 7 on both of them. I only bought the 907 because we were going to Maine and I wanted something for a little bigger water than I normally fish. Either the 906 or 907 is optimal for streams the size of lower Penns, but the 6 wgt allows the usually smaller averaging creek bass to put up a better battle.

if youre not throwing big bulky heavy flies/poppers/streamers why wouldnt your 5wt be up to snuff? mind you, not trying to talk you out of a new rod/reel/line but your 5wt should be able to handle that kind of fishing just fine. maybe get a line thats with a taper/weight distribution thats better for the type of fishing you are looking to do? just a thought. but if youre itching to get a new setup, go for it....

Use a 7 for smallmouth and you can use it for bigger streamers for trout. Your better off with a 5 and a 7 than a 5 and a 6.

Yes a 6wt will be fine for creek bass. I use a 6 wt for small creek bass because I don't have a 7. I do have 2 8’s for river bassing but they are for chucking big wind catching and water absorbing flies. I’ve never met a rod I could not cast so I don’t spend a lot of money on a rod. Usually less than 200 so I cant help on a rod recommendation.

Thanks for all the info and replies. Much to think about, but it's good to know that lots of you use a 6wt. Tho 5 and 7 makes sense too.

ryc72 - thanks for that perspective as well, but I'll definitely be throwing some bigger, heavier flies. I did it last season with my 5 and man it was not exactly great. I'm no expert caster so that was definitely part of the problem, but after having fished some 6 and now 7 wt rods it's become clear to me how much easier it is to chuck heavy streamers with them. And I'm a sucker for new toys.

Honestly, anything from a 5-8 weight will work fine. 6-8 weight is more ideal, but a 5 ain't bad, either.

I use short fiberglass or long graphite rods. Use what you want and have fun.

I use a 9ft 5 wt or a 10ft 7wt. I prefer using the 7wt though.

A 9' 6wt or 9'6" 6wt would be great for winter stonefly nymphing or indi rigs. It's also throwing buggers, small Popper's or gurglers. If you want to toss big articulated junk, a 7wt will make your life easier.

90% of my smallmouth fishing and big water trout streamer fishing is done with one of 3 rods which are all 7wts. Sounds like you might be a gear guy so if you can afford it, I'd grab a lower/mid end 6wt and a a little better grade 7wt. Like mentioned above, you will want to match the appropriate line/taper to the rod and fly you are fishing.

Several years ago I bought a Sage "Accel" 9' 7 weight. Cover smallmouth bass and a good streamer rod for trout.

Back