What rod for creeks smaller then Big Pine but bigger then Little Pine?

I don't know that answer because I'm 29. But I asked my dad and this is his reply.

"Back in the 70s I used my Fenwick fen-glass 7'6 5wt everywhere. If we had extra money from picking up soda bottles we could buy an upgrade but we usually used what we had"

BradFromPotter wrote:
How did we find out which rod we should buy for creeks smaller then Big Pine but bigger then Little Pine 30-40 years ago without the internet?

Back in the day, guys used to pick out a rod and actually cast it before buying....a concept lost in the world of click and cast.

But not all is lost, we now have a swap forum on here as well as ebay and a million other places to sell all the rods that were clicked on, and ended up to be clunkers.

Experience - still the best teacher.

BTW, having fished both streams - my answer to Brads question, would be an 8'6" 4 weight

Same place I used to get all my info about hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. Fathers, grandfathers, uncles, the older guys that you knew in town or hunted and or fished with. And last but certainly not least were the periodicals of the day. Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc. There were those that actually went to a library. Imagine that.... Not much has changed really other than back then it was a hands on thing. They not only gave you suggestions on what to use as far as equipment. They showed you also. Your question kinda makes it seem like your wondering how man ever made it this far without the use of a computer. In some ways it was a much easier learning curve. Oh and by the way, In 1985, I was pull'n info off the web about our hobby on Prodigy. 30 years wasn't the stone ages of information. If all else fails read a book or find somebody that's been there.

I saw the title of this thread and thought, "WHAT!?". Then I saw who posted it.

It does get ridiculous. People put more faith in the gear than their own ability. I've fished with forum members who use a 9' 5wt whether they're on the Pine or on a little mountain trickle. It ain't the gear. Yeah, I have a fun time using tiny rods on tiny streams and all that, but it's this obsession now. "I need a rod for my small streams, 3 rods for various degrees of medium size streams, a nymphing rod, a dry fly rod, a streamer rod, and then my rod for bigger waters"

The_Sasquatch wrote:
It does get ridiculous. People put more faith in the gear than their own ability. I've fished with forum members who use a 9' 5wt whether they're on the Pine or on a little mountain trickle. It ain't the gear. Yeah, I have a fun time using tiny rods on tiny streams and all that, but it's this obsession now. "I need a rod for my small streams, 3 rods for various degrees of medium size streams, a nymphing rod, a dry fly rod, a streamer rod, and then my rod for bigger waters"
IMO you can NEVER have too many flyrods. Any excuse to buy another is a good one! LOL

Oh I hear you! I love fly rods. I don't mean to put down the idea of acquiring more and more rods. But I get what Brad is saying. We're at the point where we're starting to think as every rod as filling a niche. Fly rods aren't like sports. You don't need to buy one that pitches, one that catches, one that can hit far, one that can bunt, one that run the bases fast, etc. etc. etc. "What rod is good for small streams? What rod should I get for fishing this or that? What's a good dry fly rod?"

I have a few pairs of pants that I consider "All Purpose Pants". They're rugged enough that I can wear them fishing, but I can also get away with wearing them for work, casual dining, etc. I think the "old school" approach to fly rods are like that. The goal was a good, all purpose fly rod. I kind of dig that mentality. I'm not saying there's never a need for a specialty rod (I ain't gonna target musky with a 5wt rod), but I overall agree w/ with the concept of a good, solid "all purpose fly rod".

To put it simple IMO a 8 1/2 foot 5 weight will work for flyfishing trout anywhere and on any stream big or small in our state. I am glad that's not my case and I have a few of the niche rods to play with. Quite frankly fishing with the same flyrod all the time is boring to me. I like variety, it's the spice of life. Maybe we will have to get someone to carry our flyrods around for us like golfers do.. "Give me the 6'6" 3 weight, no on second thought make it the 7' 4 weight" LOL.

Oh yeah like I said, I love having rods and playing around w/ different rods for different uses. That's different, I think, than "Okay I have a 7' 3wt for small streams, and a 9'5wt for bigger water. I need a rod to fill the gap. What rod will work best for a medium sized stream? Should I go with the 7'6" 4wt, or the 7'10" 4wt?" I've seen people post very similar things, not thinking "niche rod", but seriously thinking this is what you need to be an effective and efficient fly fisherperson.

But you know, I got everything from 2wts up to 9wts and I play with them all haha!

If we are talking trout you really can get by with one rod. Fished my 5 wt Orvis 8.5 ft for years on big and small streams. Lately fishing a 9 ft 4wt everywhere except on tiny streams where I use a 6 footer. Cannot imagine needing any more rods at this point.

I use a 9 foot on Pine Creek, but I'd probably fish the 7'6" rod about English Center on Ltl. Pine, below that I may want something in between the 2 like my 8'6" Metolius. All are 4 weights. I'll use a 6 weight if it's windy on Pine.

dryflyguy wrote:
Experience - still the best teacher.

BTW, having fished both streams - my answer to Brads question, would be an 8'6" 4 weight

Bill, that is my answer to almost any stream. Can't see where you can go wrong.

Maybe we will have to get someone to carry our flyrods around for us like golfers do.. "Give me the 6'6" 3 weight, no on second thought make it the 7' 4 weight"

I believe that person is called a "guide."

And don't folks already do this? I've read of plenty and seen a few who rig up multiple rods and walk down to the stream with both...

Back