What net do you like?

So I think I'm going to get another cheap mess bag net. I'm going to start hinting around to my dad that I would like him to build him, my brother, my two young sons, and myself matching nets. He retires in a few years.

I like the measure net. Grab a fish, see how big it is, and toss it back in seconds.

I would suggest getting a rubber netting tho. It's better on the fishes scales and mucus layer, as well as you don't have to worry about getting a fly caught in the net and spend 10 minutes untangling it.

Jeremi wrote:
So I think I'm going to get another cheap mess bag net. I'm going to start hinting around to my dad that I would like him to build him, my brother, my two young sons, and myself matching nets. He retires in a few years.

I have thought about building some myself. If I do it, I will shoot you photos of the process along with measurements and construction take off. Should be a pretty simply process. Will probably put Brodin replacement bags on them as they are pretty inexpensive and much lighter in weight than the cheap rubber bags.

jdaddy - This might help you if you decide to do this:

http://www.joelwoodworks.com/index_files/page0020.htm

I gave serious thought to building my own, but chickened out, and just replaced the bag on my old net with a Brodin one. Piece of cake!

I have refused to spend more than $10 on a net my entire life, but was gifted a brodin ghost. Pretty freakin sweet piece, it is.

jayL wrote:
I have refused to spend more than $10 on a net my entire life, but was gifted a brodin ghost. Pretty freakin sweet piece, it is.

Yet I have never saw you with it. Weight is the reason I give for not carrying one.

HA
Thanks for the link.
I think I am going to try to build one this winter.

jdaddy wrote:
jayL wrote:

Yet I have never saw you with it. Weight is the reason I give for not carrying one.

I got it three days ago.

jayL wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
jayL wrote:

I got it three days ago.

Ahhh. I was ready to make a low ball offer. Which one do you have and please take it to the PO and weigh it for me. Thanks.

http://www.brodin.com/GallatinGhost.html

jayL wrote:
http://www.brodin.com/GallatinGhost.html

Awesome. I would like to trace the frame and build one. I can't believe with all the discussion of how light the net is, that the weight is not documented anywhere.

Thanks for the link HA. I planned on building it with laminates and a form as he does. Now just to fight my inner desire to use highly figured dense (read heavy) wood for the handle.

I'm no woodworker, but can't you just use veneer or whatever the fancypant term for panelling is?

gfen wrote:
I'm no woodworker, but can't you just use veneer or whatever the fancypant term for panelling is?

No.

Expanded : Veneer is simply a term for a layer of exposed wood that is applied to a substrate. Substrate can be OSB, MDF, solid wood, ply wood, plastic, whatever. Like wise the veneer is most often a thin layer of an exotic or premium wood, but can be anything from a picture of wood photo printed on a piece of vinyl to whatever you want on top of a finished product. Plywood would not work due to its crossed grains which would splinter. Paneling just would not work. Usually a photo finish on top of a multi-layered substrate, usually of very poor quality and with lots of "voids" in the wood. What you want to do here is get 1/16" to 1/8" strips of long wood, get them limber with steam, coat them with type III wood glue, bend them around a form and clamp. This will give you a very nice, durable "hoop" which comes down to the handle. You can put all your fancy wood, inlays and skulls (obviously) in the middle part of the handle. Cool thing with the laminated hoop is you could alternate say, birdseye maple and cherry. Would be pretty sweet. I would stick with PA native woods like maple, cherry, walnut and mahogany. He talks about ash and oak, which are native to PA as well, but relatively cheap and uninspired woods. Why spend huge amounts of time on a hand crafted net and cheap out on the wood?

jdaddy wrote:
Why spend huge amounts of time on a hand crafted net and cheap out on the wood?

Don't ask me, I spent $15 and about 30 seconds in a check out lane to get mine. Its made of exotic Chinese pine, I think.

But it works good like a hatchet for hacking off low hanging branches that seem to often end up with a fly impossibly twisted aroudn them about 6" above my outstretched hand. Try that with yoru hand crafted beauty.

I want to be there when you look at the cracked handle, and think to yourself, "where'd I put the Liquid Nails this time?"

All this is just cover for "wish I had the ability to do crap like woodworking, but I can roll dice like a mother...." So, whatever.

Back