What makes a stream your favorite?

Just this year I discovered a native brook trout creek that has massive elevation changes and the water is typically a lovely dark red tea color. The fish are plentiful and willing, though not very big. I am not of the mentality that needs to catch a large fish for the Instagram or assert myself as a competent angler. Some of the waterfalls are so steep on this creek they'd kill ya if you slipped. I kind of like the danger aspect of it. The creek beats you up.

Dear wscosner2,

My favorite streams exist mostly in my memory. They are all still there and, in many cases, still doing well. I still fish them from time to time.

But so many of the friends I made fishing them have passed on or moved away.

There was a time not all that long ago, when I would fish from dawn to dark. But those days are gone. Now if I catch a couple of fish in the first hour, I'm content.

When I reflect on those days, I realize that fishing to me has always been about memories, and friends.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The memories, plain and simple. There are certain streams, and one in particular, which will always be hallowed ground.

Scenery and memories of family members and close fishing friends that have since passed on. These creeks, located in Potter, McKean and Somerset Counties hold special memories for me of days gone by.

My favorite stream is freestone one with ample riffles, runs, pockets, and pools.

What makes a stream one of my favorites is undoubtedly the memories attached to it. Remembrances of Rivers Past

The creek across the street from my house. Smallmouth, not trout. Come home from work, grab the rod, walk a couple hundred yard upstream and all the worlds worries go away. See deer crossing the creek most nights, along with the occasional eagle flying overhead. Working on finding a favorite trout spot now that the temps are dropping.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I echo posts 15, 16.

Its close to home, no one fishies it, and holds some decent sized smallies.

1. Scenery.

2. Must be some challenge involved. It can be difficult to get there, difficult terrain to fish, difficult fish, narrow conditions window to hit it right. There's a reason you're not there every day, it's a little special to get on it, you're thinking of it, watching, and waiting for the stars to align just right....

3. Wild fish.

4. Established memories of an extraordinary outing or two, especially with fishing company.

It does not have to be unknown for me. When thinking of my favorites, some in the top group are unpressured and/or unknown. But Penns is in the running, and it gets pounded.

Last edited:
Back