What Kind of Fish is This?

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

My buddy and I were fishing The YB about 100 yards down from the Run today. He caught this fish and neither one of us can tell what kind of fish it is.

Any insights?

Attachments

• 0627171101.jpg
    0627171101.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 10
Lools like a tiger trout. Mix between a brookie and a brown trout.

Looks like you just caught yourself your first tiger trout - which Wikipedia defines as "a sterile, intergeneric hybrid of the brown trout (Salmo trutta) and the brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). The name derives from the pronounced vermiculations, which evoke the stripes of a tiger.

Pretty cool tiger trout!

That is an awesome little tiger trout!

Yep - no doubt - it's a wild tiger trout.

The location is highly interesting. I have never heard of any wild tigers from YB and they are very scarce in this part of PA. While there is no significant natural reproduction of brookies in that part of YB, there is natural repro of browns. There are stocked brookies there and my guess would be that a stocked brookie somehow managed to crash a group of spawning browns and this guy was the result.

Whatever the case, it's really neat and a highly significant discovery.

Dave_W wrote:
Yep - no doubt - it's a wild tiger trout.

The location is highly interesting. I have never heard of any wild tigers from YB and they are very scarce in this part of PA. While there is no significant natural reproduction of brookies in that part of YB, there is natural repro of browns. There are stocked brookies there and my guess would be that a stocked brookie somehow managed to crash a group of spawning browns and this guy was the result.

Have they ever stocked tiger trout in the YB? One of the only two I've ever caught was at Allenberry, years ago.

I would think it coming from mountain might be more plausible but then again I don't know how it would navigate the dams.
You are probably closer to the truth

You could have just Googled it.

i check google didn't answer his question

redietz wrote:
Have they ever stocked tiger trout in the YB? One of the only two I've ever caught was at Allenberry, years ago.

Not to my knowledge, although a private club may have stocked some at various times in the YB or a tributary. There are some clubs that raised, or used to raise, tigers in the Cumberland Valley.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I would think it coming from mountain might be more plausible...

That would make sense.

Breeches is a large watershed, hundreds of square miles, and there are multiple small tribs (in addition to Mountain) with documented natural repro where this guy could have originated.

Bait

So.

Is it stocked, or wild.

If wild, would it be half native?

We need a ruling on this.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice fish.

The location made me think, no way that's a wild tiger. But the coloration is almost identical to the tiny wild tiger I was fortunate enough to catch a few years ago in MD. Sure looks to me like it was born in the stream and that is a very special, rare fish indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Looks close to the tiger I caught on Fishing Creek that I use for my avatar (I think that's what ya call the profile pic on here) photo on here. Its amazing the different variations of tiger trout there are. I caught some that have more characteristics of brook and brown trout (usually a sign of a stocked one) and then I caught 2 that look very similar to yours.

Attachments

• 13321929_10153635881902966_408733585020053934_n.jpg
    13321929_10153635881902966_408733585020053934_n.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 18664429_10154604779532966_206491399196691370_n.jpg
    18664429_10154604779532966_206491399196691370_n.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 5
It is a wild tiger, no doubt. I've been lucky enough to catch a few wild tigers. They used to stock tiger trout a lot around me so I've caught many stocked tigers and yours is definitely wild. I've fished some of the headwater streams of YB and they surely have enough native brookie reproduction and wild brown trout reproduction for hybridization to happen.

Back