What is the best bass fly rod

Thank you for the tips

I like to fish top water with poppers for bass, i've been using an 8'6" 5 wt. but feel the line is to light is a 7wt the next logical wt. to buy?

9'8wt hands down. That way you can cast size 2 poppers, into heavy wind, and pull a big fish out of cover. And cast distance. Lighter rigs will work but they limit you on what you can do.

jkilroy nailed it. another vote for 9' 8wt. covers you for pretty much any largies, smallies, wipers, pike, carp, etc. Plus if you go on vacation and wanna have a go at redfish, bones, bluefish, stripers, snook, etc. you are still covered. By far my most used rod.

Doesn't surprise anyone. I use a 10wt for pond bass. Why work to throw oversize wind pushing bass bugs. When with a 10 ya can pick up and put down with 1 back cast. Plus the stuff I throw is big 3 & 4 ot singles.

Generally, for me it's a fast-action 9' 8-weight, it will cover all the bases well from nymphing for smallies to punching big deerhair poppers into the wind to dragging bottom with crayfish flies.

But I'm a bit of a gear freak, so I also own an 11' 7-weight switch rod for fishing bigger waters, like the North Branch of the Susky (the reason I bought it), an 8'6" 6-weight for chasing smallies in smaller streams, and once in a while I've been known to bust out the 9' 10-weight I use for the "big toothies" on particularly windy days, but not for long, those 10-weights really wear you out...

Back