what i love

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

i love fall and winter flyfishing in pa. there are so many streams loaded with trout.on the right day, you could be the only angler on a famous limestoner....and catching all the fish.

fall fishing means hatches and beautiful scenery with less anglers!
fall stockings and all the wild trout streams...wow! what else is there to say.

i love to dry fly fish. nothing like taking a trout on the top, but winter fishing has its advantages.....

less food available....means less options for the fish to be over fussy

cooler water temps might men less feeding activity, but the fish are strong and healthy! trout in the winter are often fatter.

just remember the now the foilage is gone. green or camo might not be a good idea! try deep browns with the trees. if in a meadow i might recommend sky blue! :-D

ive found warmer feeder streams running into HQCWF will harbor trout .

tell me how many of you are going to put away the fly tying equipment this winter and break out the rod? :cool:

Sounds appealing to me.. Ive never fished in the late fall/winter but plan on it this year since ive found Codorus Creek....ive been told it fishes well all year. Past two weeks have been great with sub surface activity but no more dry's :-o. Also plan on heading to chambersburg for some Falling Springs action :-D .
enjoy the weather and whiskey
later

I've got to get out to Big Spring soon, the brookies ought to be spawning and by the time I get there will be very hungry. I like fishing some of the local brown trout streams, but when January comes my first trout of the year will be a brookie. I know a couple of brownie streams I'll be hitting that fish well in the winter.

Fall is probably my favorite time to fish.
Throughout the '70s and most of the '80s, I used to go to Erie and put up with the crowds catching salmon and steelhead.
Then I took a trip out to Penns Creek and the Little Juniata river in october, and found great dry fly fishing, along with beautiful fall scenery, and deserted streams.
That was almost 20 years ago - I haven't been to Erie in the fall since.
I was at one of our more heavily fished limestone streams yesterday. The fish were rising when I got there at noon, and they went until almost dark. And I practicaly had the whole stream to myself. It doesn't get much better!

Back