What hooks

• Thread starter Kill3ducks1deer
  • Start date
K

Kill3ducks1deer

I was thinking about trying to tie Higas SOS and Ians Brass ***, not sure what hooks to get. Orvis has the right ones but they are pretty expensive. I was thinking about buying from Allen, not sure what hooks would be the right one though. I was thinking the N204 for the SOS and N304 for the Brass ***. Any thoughts? If those aren't the right ones any where else I can get relatively cheap hooks for these flies?

Also what other patterns can I tie on the hooks I get for those flies?

Thanks for any help, still pretty knew to tying, and the hooks tend to confuse the crap out of me

Edit: http://www.allenflyfishing.com/fly-tying-hooks/ So you guys don't have to go and look it up yourself, thought I would just throw it up

Daiichi has 1120 which is a 2x heavy wire
1130 which is 1x fine wire
TMC 2487
Figured you could check these out for price comparison

Price wise they are about 2 times as expensive, I mean 5 dollars isn't expensive but if I can get quality hooks for less why not. I just didn't know if they would be good for tying the flies.

I'm following you about the cash.You'll end up with some good info/reviews on the allen hooks from here I've no doubt.

I have heard nothing bad about their hooks, head they were great, just didn't know if they were the right hooks for the patterns

Oh, right. Sometimes you have to :hammer: on my head. I think you'll be fine with the hooks you're looking at for those two patterns. While keeping your eyes open for deals on hooks you like already but are too much money get the Allen hooks and see if the patterns work for you and if you're going to tie them regularly.

Haha, its cool man, sounds good, i'll order them and then try the pattern when they get here then.

K3,

For what it's worth, I have been using Allen's hooks and am very happy with them. Allen ships quickly and for free with hooks.

Dave

Wow, free shipping with hooks. Is there a minimum amount to get that? Maybe I missed it but for the price listed for each style hook what is the quantity?

lv2nymph wrote:
Wow, free shipping with hooks. Is there a minimum amount to get that? Maybe I missed it but for the price listed for each style hook what is the quantity?

L2

No minimum. I just ordered three packs and free shipping was included.

Back