what dry flies

F

flytyingfred

I was wondering what dry flies and emergers should i be concentrating on tying for the next month of fishing? I am again overwhelmed by the number of dry fly and emerger patterns there are out there so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

flytyingfred wrote:
I was wondering what dry flies and emergers should i be concentrating on tying for the next month of fishing? I am again overwhelmed by the number of dry fly and emerger patterns there are out there so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a suggestion to keep things simple. Tie a parachute style fly for the dun (hatching insect). You can clip the post short on to imitate the emerger. Also tie some parachutes with a sparse brown antron tail. Sometimes that's the trigger.

The sequence goes something like this:

Nymph > Emerger > Dun > Spinner

You also use a parachute with a very short post for a spinner imitation. Do some study on spinners though. Sometimes the spinner looks a lot different than the dun that hatches. They are often red brown in color with more or less clear wings.

HTH.

I recommend some sparkle duns. Much like Afish suggested, the sparkle duns can do double duty as an emerger and dun. I sometimes thin the shuck out and it serves as a decent tail.

Consult your local hatch chart for what insects are hatching. Then go to troutnut.com to get an idea of what the nymphs, duns, and spinners look like. That'll give you an idea of what colors to use.

Don't worry about a silver bullet fly pattern. Any standard dry or emerger pattern in the proper color should do fine.

Start by learning to tie CDC and comparadun style it will be a lot easier on your wallet than hackle. They are can be used to tie both emergers and duns for any mayfly or caddis you can encounter.

I wish I would done this before dropping money on hackles.

Back