What does it take to support wild brownies

On those days when we took a skunk and someone would ask how the fishing was, an old fishing buddy and I used to say "It was a beautiful day!".

I actually perfer the boxed mix
I was waiting for a comment like this one. When I saw the title on the OP, I pictured a pack of little girls with tribal face paint and carrying handmade spears.

Had one of those days. After striking out on two other streams due to one being blown and one being warm, I returned to this sort of out of the way small stream that gave up absolutely nothing once in the past.

Low 60s, with plenty of shade and cover. Some sandy spots, but definitely not filled with sediment. Water was high and slightly stained, but it looked fully fishy, as it has in the past.

Hopper/dropper moved one fingerling of unknown species. I couldn't even spook a sizable fish.

Always fun driving around for 2 hours to take a spanking.

Just needed a place to vent.

View attachment 1641231901
View attachment 1641231900
Stream sure looks fishy, with a very nice riparian buffer. What happens further upstream can influence the remaider.

I always think of this thread when I take a brutal spanking. Drove an hour to check out some new to me streams around Lake Sacandaga. My main target gets no government fish - which is often a good sign - and has almost zero information online. I was optimistic.

The weather was insane here today with a high over 50, but water temps held steady around 38. I was motivated by rumors the creek held brook trout, but it turned out to be a huge, mostly shallow river rather anything I would associate with Adk brookies. Saw lots of case caddis and some little black stones on the rocks, but no other signs of life.

Will have to try it again in summer when maybe more bugs will help reveal if it's fishy. Tonight, I'm licking my wounds.
PXL 20240209 172309727MP

PXL 20240209 162417185

PXL 20240209 172315745

I always think of this thread when I take a brutal spanking. Drove an hour to check out some new to me streams around Lake Sacandaga. My main target gets no government fish - which is often a good sign - and has almost zero information online. I was optimistic.

The weather was insane here today with a high over 50, but water temps held steady around 38. I was motivated by rumors the creek held brook trout, but it turned out to be a huge, mostly shallow river rather anything I would associate with Adk brookies. Saw lots of case caddis and some little black stones on the rocks, but no other signs of life.

Will have to try it again in summer when maybe more bugs will help reveal if it's fishy. Tonight, I'm licking my wounds.
View attachment 1641234302
View attachment 1641234303
View attachment 1641234304
I have found that the shallow and featureless stream sections are almost always devoid of trout, even in streams with good reputations. Fish need a place to escape predators, particularly from the air.

Back