What do you do to keep your feet warm in winter wading?

A

a23fish

Now that winter is approaching and water temps falling, I confirmed (once again) my toes get cold when wading in cold water. So far, the liner socks, wool socks over those, and neoprene booties on my Simms waders are keeping the cold at bay - everywhere except my toes.

I doubt there is any magic solution for this since my fingertips get cold before anything else too. But, what do you folks do or use to minimize the effects of cold water wading?

I'm not yet ready to quit wading for the season.

I have the exact same problem, both with feet and fingers. I work outdoors for a living and invest in clothing to keep me warm and dry.

Insulated boots are more of a problem for me than they help, and I think that gloves make my hands sweat and get cold. I change my wool socks frequently and just invested in new lighter fluid hand warmers. The ones that you shake to activate are mediocre at best.

I have a new but discontinued dry suit from NRS that I am going to use for winter fly fishing. I got it at a discounted sale price, and it has the all-important relief zipper.

The hand warmers really need to perform. I drive autos all day at work so I am constantly touching cold wet metal.

I have a very elaborate hat/hood system for keeping my head and neck warm.

Hopefully, this will work for me. That said, I lived in the south for 20 years and can deal with too hot better than too cold.

I accept that I am cold weather limited and that I can live with trout or deer winning when I get too cold.

Best thing is to actually stay out of the water as much as possible. Having a toasty warm core will allow your body to not lose focus on the extremities. I know going out my toes are going to get cold so I just try to manage it so it doesn’t ruin the entire outing. There comes a point though where I give up.

First & foremost, you MUST have wading shoes with wiggle room.

If you can't easily fit into your wading shoes wearing two pair of any kind of decent medium thickness socks INCLUDING the Neoprene bootee on your waders without your feet being cramped, forget it!!

Cramped feet get cold no matter what you are wearing so if this is the case, buy bigger wading shoes.

Other things to avoid, anything else that doesn’t breathe, makes your feet sweat or loses its ability to insulate when wet with perspiration. That eliminates wearing just a Neoprene sock and cotton socks. This is where wool excels over everything else.

That being said, I used to use thin polypropylene liner socks under heavy 800-gram Merino wool socks. It worked well until I went with a Merino wool sock liner under the same 800-gram Merino wool sock.

This wool-with-wool combo used with Neoprene bottomed waders beats anything I’ve ever used including electric socks. The brand I use is called Woolpower.

FWIW – Roomy boot foot waders with that sock combo are even warmer.

Another thing that helps, keep moving, even if you have to get out of the water occasionally to walk around, keep the rest of your body well insulated, especially your head and try and wade as shallow as possible to keep your legs warm.

Good luck!

I use sock liners, then thickish wool socks, then those stick on chemical toe warmers on top of my toes. Of the random assortment of those things I’ve accumulated, the hothands brand seems to last the longest, usually 5-6 hours. I also don’t tie my boots as tightly as I normally do.

I also use those toe warmers to keep my fingers warm. I just stick them to the inside of my wrists, tho I think they say not to do that. That plus a cloth in my wader pocket to dry my hands off with works really well for me.

Boot foot waders…The absolute best way to keep your feet warm. I know people that put foot warmers in their socks but I’ve never done it myself.

Key part of staying warm is don't let your core get cold or heat will be directed from your extremities back to your head and core No matter how much insulation your feet or hands have they will get cold.
Use your big muscle groups often by moving. Your legs are the biggest heat factories your body have.
Wear breathable garments that trap warm air. wear layers that you can put on or shed depending on your activity level.
Wool works the best for me for socks and gloves.
I too work outside during the winter.
Also remember to eat as your burning a lot of calories to keep warm even if you're standing in one place.

Boot foot waders…The absolute best way to keep your feet warm. I know people that put foot warmers in their socks but I’ve never done it myself.
+1 ….. I use insulated boot foot hippers two sizes too big - put in a cheap Dr shoals foam insole and 2 heavy hunting socks. Anyone who has slept outside in the winter knows how essential a good mat is - same with the foam insole. In cold weather I don't wade I water too deep for hippers.

I know that I have experienced hypothermia twice. This is deadly, and not to be taken lightly.

I got very cold twice cold weather canoeing while wearing state of the art wet suits. I saw my uncle get wet and cold in Alaska, in July,

Slurring words and speaking incoherently while stumbling around is not good and very dangerous/deadly in remote Alaska.

The guide lit a fire and cooked a meal. He caught the salmon that we ate for our meal.

Thank God for that.

Again, I think that I am very well prepared. The dry suit may or may not be the game changer. I will learn one way or the other.

This is the bane of my fishing! I like to fish the east & west branch of the Delaware. A few hours in there and I'm screwed. I like thin wool socks with a pair of alpaca socks over. Alpaca is really warm but then sweating can get you. I agree you must must must have an extra set of boots one size bigger to accommodate the sock combination you select and allow movement of toes. This is probably more important than the socks

Canoetripper wrote:
I have the exact same problem, both with feet and fingers. I work outdoors for a living and invest in clothing to keep me warm and dry.

Insulated boots are more of a problem for me than they help, and I think that gloves make my hands sweat and get cold. I change my wool socks frequently and just invested in new lighter fluid hand warmers. The ones that you shake to activate are mediocre at best.
I have a couple of Jon-E fluid filled handwarmers in the "GI" size that I've had since I was kid so I could hide & drink beer in the woods on winter weekends and stay warm. ;-) Unfortunately, Jon-E's of any size are no longer made, although they are out there on eBay.

What makes the Jon-E GI so great is the size. Light it correctly and it will easily stay hot for 8 hours. In the old days they even came with a hole to light a cigarette with!!

The standard size Jon-E was good for about half that amount of time, the newer Zippos that are out there today, less than that.

When it is REALLY cold, I carry two in what is called a "kidney belt," a flannel belt Jon-E sold to hold & position the handwarmers over your kidneys. That gives your entire body a sensation of warmth, yet you can still reach back to warm your hands.

Even if you don't feel like chasing down vintage Jon-E GI's, look into finding a kidney belt or having someone sew one up for you. They really help!!

Good luck!

Thanks for the information.

I am not a big guy(6'/165 lbs.) And, I am age 63. I really don't sweat very much other than my feet, and I think my hands even in Gore-Tex gloves.

I have been fishing at this R&G Club in the Poconos since I was a very young boy.

I have 3 miles of stream and 820 acres, and in the winter after deer season, all to myself.

I have a Garmin Instinct GPS watch that I am still learning how to use. If I get too cold doing my best at winter fly fishing, I can go for a walk in the woods and get lost, but still find my way back to one of the three primitive cabins where I stay.

No plumbing or electricity(I do have a Sears Craftsman portable generator), but I do have propane for heat and cooking.

I forgot to mention that I do have a box of L.L. Bean Wicked Good Hand Warmers. They are the best self-activated hand warmers that I have used.

Canoetripper wrote:

I have been fishing at this R&G Club in the Poconos since I was a very young boy.

I have 3 miles of stream and 820 acres, and in the winter after deer season, all to myself.
I’m envious!!

Another thing I do just for a break to warm-up is make coffee and something hot to eat.

For decades, I have been carrying around a small pouch that I add to my kit when fishing long or when it is cold. In the pouch is a small Esbit solid fuel stove or more recently, an alcohol stove, a match safe, a folding spork (also from Esbit), pre mixed coffee, some paper towels in a Ziploc bag that doubles for trash and it all nests in a small shallow 300 ml titanium bowl that doubles a cup. In the same pouch, I might toss a small can of beans or sardines.

When the fishing gets slow or I get cold, I’ll set up my stove, have some hot coffee and maybe a snack, take snort from my flask, light a cigar and I’m good for another 4 hours!!

I am learning the cabins. They are very primitive

Getting better with more time spent there.

I have all kinds of ways and means to cook(even grill and bake with propane).

If I don't feel like cooking, there are several bars within two miles where I am a regular.

I am getting better than good at propane frying, grilling, and even baking with my propane oven.

My favorite part of this primitive camping though is listening to and smelling coffee percolating in the morning.

I didn't go to "Deer Camp" as a young boy growing up, but I did listen to every other boy tell stories about "Deer Camp." It sounded like the greatest place in the world.

My father was not a hunter.

My grandfather was an upland game bird hunter, and an original founding member of this R&G Club.

I am kind of more than content to just hang out on the front porch with a beer in a coozie and a cigar listening to running water and the snap, crackle, and pop of a camp fire.

One pair of really good wool socks. feet get cold because you sweat and they get wet. Wool wicks moisture away and insulates when wet. Cotton is no good at either. the guys that buy over sized boots and wear multiple socks are only making it worse.
Buy a pair of darn tough over the calf hunting socks. Set you back about $30 but you will never look back.

Fjp110 wrote:
the guys that buy over sized boots and wear multiple socks are only making it worse. ...

not really...the extra room to create a warm air pocket and allow for good circulation cannot be stressed enough. Circulation is the biggest factor. If your boots fit snug, your feet will probably get cold. And layering on your feet (within reason) does the same for them as it does for the rest of your body. I wear a pair of wicking socks next to my skin and a thicker pair of wool or wool-like (synthetic) socks over them. I have one pair of travel waders that does not have neoprene booties and this indisputable when I wear those.

tomgamber wrote:
I wear a pair of wicking socks next to my skin and a thicker pair of wool or wool-like (synthetic) socks over them.

Yes. And also the room for circulation.

Another thing I do from time to time is spray my feet with antiperspirant. It helps with the feet sweating. I normally remember to do this about day 3 into a 4 day trip.

Another thing I do from time to time is spray my feet with antiperspirant. It helps with the feet sweating. I normally remember to do this about day 3 into a 4 day trip.

Back