What do you consider vintage?

Phillyfisher

Phillyfisher

I was up fishing on the West Branch with a young guide last week. (Guided trip was a birthday present from my wife). When I say that the guide was young, I mean young- 20 years old.

Anyway, he looked at my Winston Ibis 6 wgt and Lamson Radius reel and said- “Nice vintage rod and reel”. I kinda laughed and thought, damn, I’m getting old.

Anyway- what do you consider vintage?

I was up fishing on the West Branch with a young guide last week. (Guided trip was a birthday present from my wife). When I say that the guide was young, I mean young- 20 years old.

Anyway, he looked at my Winston Ibis 6 wgt and Lamson Radius reel and said- “Nice vintage rod and reel”. I kinda laughed and thought, damn, I’m getting old.

Anyway- what do you consider vintage?

Here’s the official definition of vintage:

“Vintage items are much younger than antiques. These pieces are typically defined as being at least 20 years old but less than 100 years old. The term "true vintage" is a sub-category for items that are at least 50 years old.”

It’s interesting that by definition your 20 year young guide was himself vintage.

“Vintage items are much younger than antiques. These pieces are typically defined as being at least 20 years old but less than 100 years old. The term "true vintage" is a sub-category for items that are at least 50 years old.”

It’s interesting that by definition your 20 year young guide was himself vintage.
Well, I my rod and reel are close to that- heck all my stuff is vintage now. Probably have some flies in my vest that are vintage too!

By that definition I have SOCKS that are vintage.

Reactions: Kms
If it's made of carbon fiber it isn't vintage.
This makes sense. Vintage to me is bamboo, fiberglass, Martin/Hardy clicker reels, etc. Guess it just a sign of getting older.

Only gear I have that fits that bill is a Curt Gowdy fiberglass rod and the first “good” flyrod I purchased back in the 80’s- which I really should take out and fish sometime-

If it's made of carbon fiber it isn't vintage.
Agreed. For fly rods, vintage is pre-graphite.

Graphite was a very big fundamental change in fly rod technology. Since that time, it's just been tweakage, small changes, but no big changes.

Someone should tell the vintage tackle dealers that sell 1st Generation Orvis graphite as vintage.

The main difference between then and now is the action. It was customary to have a softer action in graphite then, now the action is like casting a steel beam for high line speed.

Last edited:
I had to pull that Berkley Parametric Curt Gowdy rod out of the tube. My sister gave it to me after my brother in law passed away. He picked it up at a sports auction in the late 70s early 80s and never fished it. I fished it once at a pond just to see how it cast. Tube smells of naugahyde sock and and cork every time I open it. I’m thinking it’s time for it to catch a trout.

6’-3” of vintage fiberglass.

Attachments

• IMG_4008.jpeg
    IMG_4008.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 32
I had to pull that Curt Gowdy rod out of the tube. My sister gave it to me after my brother in law passed away. He picked it up at a sports auction in the late 70s early 80s and never fished it. I fished it once at a pond just to see how it cast. Tube smells of naugahyde sock and and cork every time I open it. I’m thinking it’s time for it to catch a trout.

6’-3” of vintage fiberglass.
That is a nice rod. Enjoy it!

When I casted it last time, I was using a 4 wgt line. Thinking it may be better with a 5 or 6 wgt line.

I believe it's rated for a 6. A DT 5 would probably be good too

Agreed. For fly rods, vintage is pre-graphite.

Graphite was a very big fundamental change in fly rod technology. Since that time, it's just been tweakage, small changes, but no big changes.

I'm sure there are more than a few folks that would consider a 51 year old Fenwick HMG graphite rod as something "vintage."

It's just another word like "classic" with a flexible meaning most often being a extravagant way of saying old(er). To me vintage is something that represents an older stage within the life span of a product, often being something that is no longer available in that form for one reason or another.

For example, I own two first generation Hardy built CFO reels, a 1980's LHW Hardy Perfect and 1980's Orvis Limestone Special. I consider all of these as vintage examples of the CFO, Hardy Perfect and Orvis Graphite rods.

But what do you call a 20 year old McFarland Spruce Creek smooth blank glass rod built by Mike that hasn't been available in 15 years or how about a couple of bamboo rods by well known makers who passed away or retired??

Bottom line, it's all relative to your age and perspective...

Last edited:
So, bottom line is I can consider my Orvis Far and Fine vintage right? I hope so since it’s still one of my favorites. 😊

After roughly 45 years in a tube- the Curt Gowdy caught its first trout.

Figured it was time.

My sister passed on the rod to me when her husband passed away. He had a passion for sports auctions, and picked up the rod sometime in the late 70’s, early 80’s. Sentimental value for sure. Definitely will fish it more. A lot different than my other rods. …

Attachments

• IMG_4016.jpeg
    IMG_4016.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back