what do we need

J

johnh

Well heres my question only really have gone ff one time with my son and we justgetting into ff what do we all need to stockup on we are going to the ff show in nj on sat weather permitting or sun if bad weather on sat . We are just doing trout fishing and mostly on the little lehigh and little streams like that.i got my 8 year old son a cheap combo from wm for christmas for now. Its a 6-7 weightwill that be ok for now.i have a cheap combo from wm I bought years ago tried it once hateted it but now I am not giving up on this. What rod would you suggest and other tackle and stuff do you suggest.hope to meet some of you guys there.thanks in advance for some advice

And one other question with just learning to ff is it too early to learn to tie flies thanks

you will be surprised what a difference good line will make. casting goes from frustrating to enjoyable with a good line

johnh wrote:
And one other question with just learning to ff is it too early to learn to tie flies thanks

No, it's not. You can learn to tie flies at any time and experience as a FFer is not required.

johnh wrote:
Well heres my question only really have gone ff one time with my son and we justgetting into ff what do we all need to stockup on

One of the basics you'll want to have for both you and your son would be polarized sunglasses as these will enable you to see into the water.

A good entry level rod and reel would be a 8-9 foot rod for a 5 weight line (this is the standard for a beginner fishing typical sized waters in PA); you'll also want some "split shot" - these are lead sinkers, they size you want are the small ones that are roughly a bit larger than the size of a BB; two sets of "nippers" (one for ea of you) which are essentially fingernail clippers for cutting line; a pair of "hemostats" which are for removing small hooks from fish (these are the typical medical tools used by surgeons and have finger holes like scissors. Finally, you'll want a small landing net. All of these basics are available at stores with basic fishing equipment and you certainly don't need to go to Somerset for these basics (although Somerset is a great place to visit - you'll be amazed at all the places and ways one can FF!).

If you are going to a show... test cast as many as possible. everyone's casting stroke is different. the only way to find out which ones cast best for you is through trial. (plus, no matter what level you are are, you will likely get helpful casting tips from those people that are selling the rods.)

Never too early to start tying. But just starting and needing everything getting stuff for both could get kinda pricey. Not saying don't do it, just saying. My first rod was a no name 6 wt. with a ten dollar reel, used it for years with great satisfaction.

Never stop learning. You tube is your friend when it comes to fly tying and other FF lessons.

Welcome to FLY FISHING!
My advice is:
Please do not just run out to the fly fishing show just yet and spend lots of money. I know it's just around the corner, and looks so tempting. There is another one coming up in March in Lancaster, PA. if you can wait.

Here is my phone # 267-338-8753 - I live in the Philadelphia area and if you'd like to meet up in the near future - I can guide you and your son through some of the basics (No Fee). You can also send me a personal msg via this forum. I have two St Croix 5/6 wt flyrod set ups that I can use to help guide you and your son into this art.
My other advice:
If your son is young, please do not force him. My daughter hates all fishing because pops was so anal about her learning.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Welcome to FLY FISHING!
My advice is:
Please do not just run out to the fly fishing show just yet and spend lots of money. I know it's just around the corner, and looks so tempting. There is another one coming up in March in Lancaster, PA. if you can wait.
I agree with PennypackFlyer. The shows and for that matter the stores have so much they offer and you get swept up in thinking you need this or that when all you really need is a rod/reel and some basic flies. Start out small and get comfortable with the sport first then you can expand from there. Just my 2 cents.

untamed_spirit wrote:
The shows and for that matter the stores have so much they offer and you get swept up in thinking you need this or that when all you really need is a rod/reel and some basic flies. Start out small and get comfortable with the sport first then you can expand from there.

This is good advice and worth repeating.

If someone is in the area where this gent and son live and would not mind taking them under ur wing for a while, please put out the invitation. I'm probably 2 -3 hours outside his ball park.

If you do hook up, please remember that you are an Ambassador of this art.

Thanks for all the great info. I will just go to the show to see all the products there are and to get info for trips for in the future. Thanks again and please keep ideas coming and hey pennypackflyer im gonna try and figure out how to pm you

If you can get them cheap enough at the expo, I'd suggest stocking up on leaders and tippet. Coming from a beginner, I could only tell you if you are anything like I was in the very beginning, I went through a lot of both.

Waders that don't leak and boots that don't slip. It can turn a person off of FF in a hurry.

Back